• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Levi’s Vintage

blackrat2

Morning
Just gotten my Black Friday email from Levi’s
In short, if you sign up they will do free shipping and returns and 30% off on there full range
I am UK based so check if that applies to you

colekwok

Good to know, that sounds good if you are just shopping for the ordinary Levi's range.

The LVC jeans that they are selling are all made in EU, mostly Portugal. If they have the USA made 501xx raw jeans on sale, I will certainly get one.

blackrat2

Pair I got last year were USA made...worst case you can return them!
Have ordered some 44’s...was going to get 47’s but worry they might be a tad tight in the leg, if I could get to Newburgh Street would try them
That said they aren’t knocking 30% off in store, odd as they did last year?!

colekwok

Oh, I see, I was looking at some of the 501XX in their store in Regent Street a while ago, maybe the ridged ones are still USA made? I need to seriously look at their website again.

Cobblers161

The '47's John have changed shape slightly in the last couple of years, they're now a wider cut in the leg not too dissimilar to the '44's.

blackrat2

Cheers Steve
I’ve paid up now so maybe I can get up there and try some on...maybe next year!
Not sure colekwok...certainly the stuff I buy is raw

Silver Surfer

yeah, i just ordered up 2 pairs of 1967 lvc jeans from levi. nearly 1/2 price, and free shipping. at %40 off, the price is almost what they should cost in the first place. the regular line of levis are crapola, ie: vanity sized, thin material, and goofy styling.

blackrat2

Yep if you use Denimbro there is a 40% code...missed the boat with that one!
I gather a fair few here are into raw denim

blackrat2

So my Levi’s have arrived and to confirm made in USA still using Cone Denim
Seems the 40% discount code is US only

EmergencyIan

Does anyone have experience with the Cone denimLevi’s USA made, non-LVC, 501 originals? I really want to know what your experience with sizing is. If I read their sizing guide correctly, you just order your actual size. For example, I wear size 30 x 30 Brooks Brothers garbardine grouse to work. 30 x 30 is my actual size. So, if the size guide is correct, I’d order size 30 waist since they measure 30.5 to 31 inches.

Anyhow, does anyone have experience with these Cone Levi’s USA made 501’s?

- Ian

sesto

If i were you i would order a 31-32 seeing as they will shrink a little on the first wash. All the used original USA 501s i've had have roughly measured an inch smaller than the stated waist size.

Grant

Hey Ian, When it comes to shrinkage it depends how the denim is washed.
Washed in the bathtub with cold water and a little Wool lite dark, then hung to dry I get about an inch of shrinkage in the waist and 2 - 3 inches in the inseam after a couple washes for my Cone Mills LVC 501's. If washed in warm/hot water, then heated dried, shrinkage would be more pronounced.

It's a major bummer to hear Cone Mills White Oak plant will no longer be producing selvage denim!

dmar836

Grant's estimates are what I have seen with jeans I've made. I have denim from Cone, Japan, Turkey, and China. If they are 3X1 weave, and most are, raw, and are 100% cotton, they should shrink about the same. Basically, I don't think denim from Cone Mills is much different than any other mill, cheap Chinese stuff excluded.
A lot of funny myths floating around the denim groups.
Any pics of the 44s or 47s?
Dave

CBI

Yep, bummer, Cone Mills closes in 15 days. There is even a countdown clock in re Cone Mills on the Brave Star Selvedge home page. Agree w/ Grant, totally depends on washing. Just my 2 cents but I find places like Brave Star, Tellason, etc. take more modern fit styling in mind and there is less chance of not getting the correct size as with lots of LVC jeans. Thinking back, I have had quite the battle with LVC. Expect lots of extra shipping costs trying on, returning, trying on, returning again. Buying something, washing it, not fitting, selling THAT pair, buying another. Main thing is to NOT wash for the first few weeks - the jeans that is. I am sure you know the drill.

Grant

Here's a couple pics of my LVC '44's after about 5 years of wear. They've been cold water hand washed all of a couple of times. For what it's worth, I've found Cone Mills White Oak denim far more longer lasting and durable than denim used in premium Japanese brands like Real McCoy's and Sugar Cane.

44.JPG
44b.JPG

Grant

Also a couple pics of my well worn LVS 1933 501's. The denim used on these are a lighter weight than later 501's but have proven to be equally durable. I've only had to patch them where the cuffs are folded. These are my go to summer jeans and have hiked and camped and slept in em.

501.jpg
501II.jpg

EmergencyIan

Thanks for all of the replies and help, fellas! I just wasn’t sure how the labeled size of the LVC’s corresponded to the actual size.

The thing is, for the past 15 years I have been wearing vintage made in USA Levi’s, but not early ones. I’ve been wearing 1970s and early 80s 517’s or the dreaded (to some) Saddleman from the same period in time. So, I know with those to buy 31 or 32 waist and 31 or 32 inseam when my actual size is 30 x 30. I guess Levi’s sizing has always varied and, of course, the denim has always shrunk.

What I didn’t know was if LVC 501’s measured larger than their labeled size. It sounds like they do not. So, sinces that’s the case, I’ll go for some 31-32 x 32’s.

- Ian

Grant

Hey Ian,
That's awesome you've been able to wear vintage denim!
As far as current LVC sizing goes, it tends to be all over the place depending on what year you're looking for, so I always try them on before buying or ordering.