• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let‘s see some A1‘s

Thomas Koehle

Gents,

since I really like that “in between wars” look i’m After a A1 to complete my growing number of waistcoats in that classic style.

If you own a A1 - preferably a repop of any manufacturer - I would be happy to see some pics of the jacket with comment who’s the manufacturer.

Fitpics would be splendid - also with a comment about your dimensions as well as the size you ordered / wear.

Thx in advance!

Thomas

D97x7

Here's my Eastman .50 cal size 44, I have a 42 chest. This pic is from last year when i got it, I'm hoping to give it some proper wear in the next few months.
ResizerImage1598X2396.jpg

Persimmon

7FD24BF1-21A5-4565-A82B-67EA035AA7BE.jpeg
41B87A20-E22D-49A2-A47D-99B96E6F1C40.jpeg

Here are my two A1 jackets.
The Eastman A1 was worn when I drove my car down to the old French Grand Prix circuit in Rheims (size 40) and a Headwind A1 Admiral of my own design (size 40) back at home in the sunshine.

Last edited:

johnwayne

DF91685A-9BEC-41A4-9C24-ED43478123DC.jpeg
EF3DFBFD-12C1-4307-A05A-A1A396132ABC.jpeg
97EFE013-DF68-4C7D-8074-857DD2949CF7.jpeg A few pics of mine, made by Mark at Superior Flight Apparel now Norshor - prob some 10-12 years old now. Note the raw edge seams same as John Chapman does on his. Mark used to be a regular here hence how I discovered his work and worth checking his website - does mainly civi styles I think now. Did once do a leather M41 that was particularly appealing! Sorry no fit pics but it’s a perfect fit 44” in very comfortable mismatched nice patina capeskin

johnwayne

Whilst I really like the russet colour of mine I've also liked the darker more seal of ELC's which I see have pockets placed slightly higher too rather than sewn into the waist knit seam which I believe but maybe wrong is more faithful. Mine incidentally are also sewn through the lining, again similar to GW's version. Much like the rolled edge vs raw edge seams it's been claimed here in the past that both options existed, trouble is I don't think enough originals exist today to question such variances likewise the colour of the capeskin, I've read that A1 started life in olive green and some repro makers have produced a few that personally I thought looked very nice and, different.

B-Man2

Wow!!
The first A1 made from lizard !!;)
Seriously John.... who made that and what hide is it made from??

John Lever

2 years old Eastman A1 Capeskin.
Bought on ebay from a blind owner in the U.S. He wore it every day, bumping and scraping into things.
This is by far the best A1 I have ever seen by a huge margin. I doubt there is another like it.
Only 350 gbp.

John Lever

Whilst I really like the russet colour of mine I've also liked the darker more seal of ELC's which I see have pockets placed slightly higher too rather than sewn into the waist knit seam which I believe but maybe wrong is more faithful. Mine incidentally are also sewn through the lining, again similar to GW's version. Much like the rolled edge vs raw edge seams it's been claimed here in the past that both options existed, trouble is I don't think enough originals exist today to question such variances likewise the colour of the capeskin, I've read that A1 started life in olive green and some repro makers have produced a few that personally I thought looked very nice and, different.
I have an olive green version from Freewheelers.

B-Man2

John
The color and the texture of the hide is unlike anything I’ve seen before, even in older ELC A1 jackets. That’s outstanding !!
Great Find, Congrats!!