• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legit Aeroleather WW2 AN-J-4 ? any idea ? good solid condition.

Pilot

Found this one, believe its an Aero. AN-J-4 ... no more label, no more tag, zipper replaced. Sorry for the poor photos. Will ask for more photos from seller if a chance of being legit.
036235F3-397C-437F-BC94-FC01FB7988E6.jpeg
FA9A545F-48FF-49EF-ADB8-BBBF40E42F4E.jpeg
86C88000-125C-420C-A838-C10924C7A9BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Pilot

It has a little nip on the left waist, next to one buckle (photo) .
The buckles are totally corroded...and really look WW2 (Aero)...one is even off from stitchings.
its a 22-23" pit to pit.
Never saw a Repro with those buckles, nor the Oxy Clip tab (except the recent Poughkeepsie ELC AN-J4).
The zip (replaced though ) goes all the way down and no lower Buttons...The studs are brass United Carr marked .
No other info/clues.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Looks nice. Hey here's an idea, lets turn a super fragile USN Shearling inside out and throw it on the ground, right on top of some pokey sharp dried up bush.

I hope that damage on the back was not a result of this :rolleyes:

Pilot

Accepted,...
The poor photos and the dried bush are not mine... maybe the jacket ...soon ....if legit:)
The little nip and ww2 zipper exchange is no issue for my leather tailor.
Question is only : USAAF WW2 or repro?

CoopDog

It is a VERY fine jacket. But I agree that it does not look to be 70 years old. But anything is possible. Is there any story behind it? Where did you find it?

MikeyB-17

Dried up Bush... you don't need that.
I would certainly want better pics before I parted with any coin - could be any number of horrors going on there that the pics don't show. It sez 'ere in my 1998 edition of the ELC Golden Book that the first spec AN-J-4's had a full length zip and press stud pockets, on the first spec change they added the buttons on the bottom of the zip and changed the pocket studs to buttons. On the second spec change they added the patch for the oxygen mask. So this has no zip buttons, studded pockets, but an oxygen mask tab. Not saying the Golden Book is the fountain of all knowledge, but Gary generally knows what he's on about. So repro, or O2 mask tab
added later? Again no doubt somebody with greater knowledge will be along (John Lever to the Bridge!).
Did AN-J-4 's suffer from the same rot problems as Navy shearlings of similar design?

Pilot

It is a VERY fine jacket. But I agree that it does not look to be 70 years old. But anything is possible. Is there any story behind it? Where did you find it?
Thx, sorry no story... just a find like that...