• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legally avoiding import taxes for WWII Jackets

Skyhawk

Yes it can be done. Use a customs declaration form CN22 or CN23. On the far right next to Item Description there is a box for a Tariff code. Use the code 9705.00.70
Make sure and put "Original WWII Flight Jacket" in the description box and declare full value. Now you can insure it for full value without import fees.

H tariff Code: 9705.00.70 - Archaeological, historical, or ethnographic pieces "Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archeological, paleontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest."
= Duty Free
;)

Skyhawk

Ha ha :lol: Well if it's a repro you could be right. But with an original you are covered.
The wording is very clear. I have used this 2x to the UK with no tax paid by the recipient.

a2jacketpatches

Well then, according to the wording, reproductions would fall into the category.

H tariff Code: 9705.00.70 - Archaeological, historical, or ethnographic pieces "Collections and collectors' pieces of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, anatomical, historical, archeological, paleontological, ethnographic or numismatic interest."
= Duty Free

********************************historical*******************Collections and collectors" pieces of*********************************
historical********************************************interest.

Does not say historical significance. So any reproduction patch or jacket can be considered a "collector piece" AKA collectors copy.

There :D I just convinced myself and didn't even have to put my blinders on :lol:

Reading between the lines like this has won me many Ebay battles over the years. The language says what it says.

Dr H

It's particularly pertinent to UK members as it's currently airing a lot in the news. :)

Skyhawk

a2jacketpatches said:
Well then, according to the wording, reproductions would fall into the category.

= Duty Free

********************************historical*******************Collections and collectors" pieces of*********************************

Does not say historical significance. So any reproduction patch or jacket can be considered a "collector piece" AKA collectors copy.

There :D I just convinced myself and didn't even have to put my blinders on :lol:

Reading between the lines like this has won me many Ebay battles over the years. The language says what it says.

I think that you have to consider the sprit of the regulation (What is it's purpose). I believe it is to help collectors to more easily collect important, historic artifacts as a way of conservation. Either way it looks like they don't want to tax collectors if what they are collecting is an important part of history. These codes are Harmonized Tariff Codes (internationally recognized and followed)

I don't think repro items would qualify, unless attached to an original.

littlebuddy

Skyhawk said:
a2jacketpatches said:

= Duty Free

I think that you have to consider the sprit of the regulation (What is it's purpose). I believe it is to help collectors to more easily collect important, historic artifacts as a way of conservation. Either way it looks like they don't want to tax collectors if what they are collecting is an important part of history. These codes are Harmonized Tariff Codes (internationally recognized and followed)

I don't think repro items would qualify, unless attached to an original.

How would our BORDER AGENCY staff at this end in the UK ,know if it was original or not ?

Peter Graham

I'm stunned. Is this true ? So the money grabbing Tory bastards are giving collectors an import tax break to help them collect historic items. Nah, there must be a catch.

littlebuddy

Peter Graham said:
I'm stunned. Is this true ? So the money grabbing Tory bastards are giving collectors an import tax break to help them collect historic items. Nah, there must be a catch.

Peter
, there has always been an import tax here in the UK , anything over £15 from outside the EU , IIRC !?

Peter Graham

littlebuddy said:
Peter Graham said:

Peter
, there has always been an import tax here in the UK , anything over £15 from outside the EU , IIRC !?
I know mate. I've paid enough of it, but is this exemption a new thing ?

a2jacketpatches

I here what you're saying Skyhawk, but I simply won't consider the spirit of jack sh*t if it's a government regulation designed to fleece everyone. All I have to do is follow it for what it says. If the language wasn't as vague as it is and actually put an age requirement then would totally agree with you. But any WW2 repro is a collector item with historical interest in mind, a completely intentional attempt at preserving the historical jackets and insignia of many men that gave it all. Many Governments should be grateful to this jacket and the units who wore it. And any Government still existence today should welcome these as an icon of such. sind sie einverstanden? :lol:

littlebuddy

Peter Graham said:
littlebuddy said:
Peter Graham said:

Peter
I know mate. I've paid enough of it, but is this exemption a new thing ?

Sorry Peter , I read your first post incorrectly

Carl

Micawber

Reviving this old thread as the regular current fees really are taking the shine off importing gear from outside the EU.

I used to bring a lot of gear over, some got hit for modest fees while other gear sailed through without question. I imagine that now everything is automated the sensible approach is a thing of the past.

Is there a current, legal, work around?

Obscurator

I have, as a private individual, purchased and imported things, including jackets, from many different non-EU countries to the UK.

Some have escaped the punitive charges from RM and HMRC, but most haven't.

As far as I can judge, it's completely without plan or pattern, and entirely random. Nowadays I factor in the maximum costs I might expect when contemplating a buy.

Normally I'm stung. That's the penalty for living in Ripoff Britain.

Micawber

That was the case for me in the past too but the current situation appears to be that everything is intercepted and charged an extortionate amount.

taikonaut

Yes it can be done. Use a customs declaration form CN22 or CN23. On the far right next to Item Description there is a box for a Tariff code. Use the code 9705.00.70
Make sure and put "Original WWII Flight Jacket" in the description box and declare full value. Now you can insure it for full value without import fees.

= Duty Free
;)

I've imported genuine historical Japanese swords into the UK, sometime it get hit with the 5% tax and other times it sails through depending on the dealer.

CBI

on the US Customs labels there is no place for any item codes. There is room on the paperwork portion one can fill out but not on the new printed labels that summarize the contends that goes on the box (instead of the clumsy old multiple page forms put inside a plastic sheet and affixed to the outside of the box).