• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather

Andrew

This is a brief pictorial study of the different characteristics of different types of leathers from my originals, repros and some other leather samples I have. The close up shots make for an interesting study since we are constantly talking about who has the best repro leathers or what colour something should look like. I'll post some more but feel free to add to it.

First up is a 1942 Aero, Belonged to a Marauder Radio/Gunner in "Six Hits and a Miss", 391BG.

This is an extremely light jacket and the leather is very thin. The front has larger areas of smooth leather with deep graining in the pockets and around the waist band area whilst the back is grainy and creased. The creasing on the sleeves is also very pronounced. The original artwork on the back is all but gone unfortunately but the mission tally is still very clear.

The underlying colour which is subtly worn through is a sort of russet but the colour is definitely a seal tone.

IMG_1242.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

Andrew

Next one is a pre- War Irvin. Unfortunately as with all unlabelled Irvins there's no way to determine who the maker was though some will speculate. This one has seen plenty of action, it come from "The House of Bevan" several years ago and it's said to have belonged to an RNZAF Flying Instructor. Considering they were usually experienced Pilots it may have seen some Fighter time- BoB maybe? I personally believe it may have due to the excessive wear marking on the outer arms and i've tried it out in a Spit to test that. The fleece is slightly shorter pile than all other Irvins i've had but that would be due to wear and its age. The hides only been treated with Pecards but the jacket has had some refurbishment work done by Aero. The colour is a very slightly reddish brown.

DSC_0009deletedbg.jpg

DSC_0149-Copy.jpg

Smooth and wrinkled section of hide.
DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

Back panels- fantastic patina here.
DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

Marbling wear on outer sleeves
DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

Cowhide leather backing to collar
DSC_0221.jpg

Andrew

This is a RW 27752. Belonged to a replacement Crewman in a B-24 operating from Mendlesham. According to acme these were mostly dark, but this one looks resprayed to me as the base is quite light. It was dry as a bone when I got it so I gave it a light conditioning but I kept the left sleeve in its original state so i could always compare. I think in hindsight the untreated leather looks best, although it was probably better that it was conditioned overall but the leather shows beautiful character with really grainy bits beside relatively smooth leather. It's had a variety of knits applied over the years.

I believe that's it first on the left.
JoeMarksWWIICrewcrop.jpg

IMG_1277s.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

The aircraft enamels are very simply but generously applied and sit on the top of the leather as a very opaque line which has lightly cracked over time but not fallen off.
DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

Roughwear

Thanks for posting these pictures Andrew. They clearly show the variation in leather not just between each jacket but also on each jacket too. BTW your pre-War Irvin is most likely the work of Irvin Air Chute, one of only two known pre-War makers, the other being Wareings and it does not exhibit any of the characteristics of this Northamptonshire maker.

I must respectfully disagree, Swatland old chap. Andrew's exquisite Irvin flying jacket is most certainly a product of Hastings & Higginbottom Manufacturing Co. of Thickentwacket on Huddlefut and probably made on the third Tuesday of March, 1937.

Vcruiser

Miles_Archer said:
I must respectfully disagree, Swatland old chap. Andrew's exquisite Irvin flying jacket is most certainly a product of Hastings & Higginbottom Manufacturing Co. of Thickentwacket on Huddlefut and probably made on the third Tuesday of March, 1937.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roughwear

Miles_Archer said:

Very funny Miles. Glad you are now an expert on everything here including Irvins! ;)

Leadsky said:
Next one is a pre- War Irvin. This one has seen plenty of action, it come from "The House of Bevan" several years ago and it's said to have belonged to an RNZAF Flying Instructor. Considering they were usually experienced Pilots it may have seen some Fighter time- BoB maybe?

DSC_0009deletedbg.jpg

Andrew, I don't want to widdle on your wheaties, but the owner was permanently based in NZ, with the RNZAF, instructing on Tiger Moths and was never posted overseas. The jacket came from the UK and never left NZ.

Any speculation about BoB use is wrong.

When crew were posted overseas from NZ, kit, such as your Irvin , was handed in and new kit issued at the other end in whatever theatre.

BEVAN

Andrew

Good thing I don't eat cereal Bevan :) I'm much happier to have the real history rather than speculate (which was a bit o' fun) so thanks for that. That might also better explain the wear as the TM cockpit was smaller- I wore it on this flight a couple of years ago.
Copy2ofIMG_0329.jpg

So do you know this original owners name, rank or any details?? It would be great to keep the history with the jacket.