• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather VB-11 patches made for veteran via friend......

EMBLEMHUNTER

VB-11 (2018).jpeg
VB-11 (2017).jpeg
Here are two VB-11 unit patches I made (variations) they are going to a veteran of the unit via the friend that ordered them , enjoy :)

EMBLEMHUNTER

scwells , I was "told" by the person I made them for they were also used by VB-11 at one time, if incorrect then the man that ordered them is wrong , but yes I have seen it listed as VS-21 also, thanks :)

EMBLEMHUNTER

BIP, the color differences were "Variations" , some Navy units when they went on deployments went out on different carriers and they changed the colors for various reasons, another it just happened to be where they were made ..........

scwells

I understand your predicament. VS-11 was at first the scouting squadron for Carrier Air Group 11. This logo was the logo for VS-11. About the time of deployment (April 1943) of the air group to Guadalcanal, the Navy decided that the scouting squadron would be designated a dive bombing squadron and was re-designated. Because there was already a "VB-11", VS-11 became VB-21. This logo then became the logo of VB-21. My uncle was a pilot with VS-11/VB-21. I have his original patch from that time period. VB-11 is a yellow patch with Pegasus, the flying horse on it.

Bombing IP

Thanks ,its like heraldry everything means something .

BIP, the color differences were "Variations" , some Navy units when they went on deployments went out on different carriers and they changed the colors for various reasons, another it just happened to be where they were made ..........

BIP

scwells

Emblemhunter, exactly. That is the VB-11 patch. The Greek wording supposedly means "First to Attack".

Bombing IP

In one of the Maguire books this patch is shown on a G1 except it is round and the rider is pointing up with the horse on its back legs . I will try and get a picture .

BIP

scwells

This last patch is for VA-114 (Fighting 114). The original squadron was VB-11, which was established in October 1942. VB-11 was re-designated VA-11A in November 1946. The VA-11A was re-designated VA-114 in July 1948. VA-114 was disestablished in December 1949. So this patch used by VA-114 is a variation of the original VB-11 patch.

EMBLEMHUNTER

The last patch image I posted was "also" used by "VF" 114 not just the other unit, and I don't believe it was a "VA" as stated, usually any "Attack/VA" unit has either the title "Attack Squadron,Atkron" or the "VA" title on it, Not "Fighting" that title has always been associated with VF's types as far as I've seen ......check Wikipedia under "VF-114" they had the "Aardvark" type and the Pegasus type for VF-114 ......