• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leather varsity jackets

fraazierjo

Anyone out there ever collect the mostly Canadian leather varsity jackets. Mostly worn by hockey teams - each school in different colors with lots of groovy patches etc.

Chandler

The varsity jackets I know of only had leather arms, the body was a wool-knit with elastic collar, cuffs, and waist (sort of tanker-like with the knits). Think Ken Hutchinson. ;)

Chandler

fraazierjo

The varsity jackets I'm talking about are usually worn by hockey jocks. Theyre usually in the school colors - all leather with snaps or zippers. online vintage in Canada sells them whenever they come up for sale. Got 5 of them now and that's about enough. Will post pictures when I figure that out.

I have one with no logos. It's a Golden Bear. It's got a leather strip on the back side of the knit, I presume to extend the wear.

IMG_20070210_0001.jpg

IMG_20070210_0001_1.jpg

fedoralover

shanghai joe

fraazierjo said:
The varsity jackets I'm talking about are usually worn by hockey jocks. Theyre usually in the school colors - all leather with snaps or zippers. online vintage in Canada sells them whenever they come up for sale. Got 5 of them now and that's about enough. Will post pictures when I figure that out.

check out aero scotland website........they have some the last time I visited.....and that was some time back.........

Chandler

fedoralover said:
I have one with no logos. It's a Golden Bear. It's got a leather strip on the back side of the knit, I presume to extend the wear.

Yep. Just like Ken Hutchinson. ;)

staskyandhutch.jpg

Sorry, couldn't find a "vintage" shot.

Chandler

interbak

Here's mine from softball as a teenager. We never refer to them as varsity jackets in my part of Canada, just baseball or hockey jackets. They come in many variations, some with knit cuffs and waistbands, some with straight bottoms, and leather cuffs, zippers or snaps for the front closure. Collars come in shirt type, mandarin, and knit. Every color combination you could think of. I guess I never thought of them as collectible, since everybody I knew growing up had at least one.
IMG00005.jpg

fraazierjo

Got the pictures. The cloth and leather jackets are totally common - its the all leather Canadian jackets I consider sharp and highly collectible. I used to see them on guys at Ryerson when I was in Toronto. The best - blue leather, gold lettering and patches. I'll try a pic here./Users/josephfrazier/Desktop/4c1c_2.JPG Let me know if you get it!

Chandler

Okay, I won't be afraid to say it -- that looks like a run-of-the-mill mall store jacket with chenille letters/graphics sewn on.

Is this a big deal in Canada?

Chandler

interbak

They're typically a lot better quality than a "mall jacket". Like I said earlier, not really a big deal, and not really collectible around here, unless you're collecting items from a particular team or organization. Most sports teams and schools have jackets in their colors, I suspect it's the same in the States.

Brian

Chandler

interbak said:
Most sports teams and schools have jackets in their colors, I suspect it's the same in the States.

Yeah, but they're more along the lines of what's been posted previously in the thread. Sort of traditional sporting team styles -- even such as the one you posted from your softball team. The jacket Pablo posted looks like someone went to Wilson's and bought a jacket off the rack and added letters.

Chandler

johnnynotoes-1

Yep, SW Ontario is hockey Mecca indeed. Small town thrift stores around here can spew out the gold at times. Many sports be huge in these rural parts and a couple of yrs ago I nailed a minty Canadian made, black sleeved red bodied, all horse jacket. Red checked flannel lining....yum! $20 'cause it was an 'old leather jacket'. A beautiful softball team patch from 1958 was in the pocket and had not been sewn on. I developed an appetite a yr or so later relegating it to the closet. My Ex took a liking to dressing down in it so off it went to her wardrobe. Maybe I'll give her a call n' see iffits still in her rotation! Rural towns laddies...Thar still be gold...

johnnynotoes-1

College jacs for the masses these days are not the stuff of yore. Like many things $$$ is the concern of the day. Hell, does any high-end secondary provide it's brighteyes with a comely front quarter, students budget rag these days? I think perhaps not and certainly most secondary schools of any ranking haven't in years. Not sure but I think most current[that Humber isn't that old] Canadian college jackets are still made locally. Of course the 70s and prior are going to nab you the best of the breed but the current ones are still a cut above a Willlllsons. Canadian coll. jacs? Built to bear beer bumbles repeatedly...try that with an orf th' rack Willys! ;)

fraazierjo

Help!! Just tried use photobucket to send a pic of my great new leather varsity jacket to you guys. Site said vintageleatherjackets.org was not a valid address. What am I doing wrong?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fraazierjo said:
Help!! Just tried use photobucket to send a pic of my great new leather varsity jacket to you guys. Site said vintageleatherjackets.org was not a valid address. What am I doing wrong?

Jo, under your picture on Photobucket, IMG Code.

Copy that, and paste into your post here .... that's it.