• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather patches and how they were fixed

Officer Dibley

A question really ...... i have bought a repro jacket (a GW) that has stitch holes where a patch was fixed. I was wondering how leather SQN or BG patches were fixed to originals back in the day as i might get a patch that covers the holes. Might.

Were patches stitched or glued or both ? If glued, what type of glue ?

I can see merit in both methods. Glueing perhaps moves better with the leather ?

Thanks for any info

Dave

Officer Dibley

Thanks Steve. I thought that was the case but think i’ve seen a few glued. I guess a seamstress was always on base for uniforms and repairing flying kit.
Perhaps the glued ones were later additions ?

Officer Dibley

Looks like ELC are glueing ......

5D045750-36BD-4BD9-949A-659908C4E6D3.jpeg

Micawber

On base it could be the parachute shop or elsewhere, off base there were plenty of tailors, seamstresses or others willing to earn a bob or two doing laundry and sewing. Al the origals I've seen and handled have virtually all been stitched.

As for positioning? WIth name tag or without? I've seen them slapped and stitched on anyhow. They were churning these out at such a rate of knots they didn't observe the niceties many folks observe with repros these days.

Members online

Latest posts