• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather Palmed Gloves

Stony

Just acquired these original military issue leather palmed gloves. Interestingly enough, they're made by Fried Ostermann Co. and are a size 10. From what I can make out, the Cont. No. is WR1009-QM18865. However, the letter after the W could be an O or a D, but not sure.

Don't know what happened on the second picture, but it's just the wool back of the gloves and doesn't distract.

34e28a19-5b30-44ac-a00e-9b6714cc41ca-original.jpg

def4a3b6-d8e3-4aad-ae2b-c23b8ea502bd-original.jpg

87467ef6-66c0-4b65-bc90-1bd4ce7bb8c6-original.jpg

EmergencyIan

I had a mint pair of these in size 9. A couple of years ago, I donated them to a collection. I did wear them two or three times and found that they aren’t very warm. Cold air gets in through the tops of them, as there is so much open space at the top. Having said that, they’re very nicely made and look great! Still look very stylish in person. They just have the above mentioned design flaw that really ruined their practicality for me.

They are “Gloves, Wool, OD, with Leather Palm” and have a pattern date of October 12, 1943. They began issuing them in December of that year to every enlisted man and officer who were in zones with cold weather.

I counted 62 separate manufactures of these gloves! Talk about heavy issue. Though, it makes sense if 1 pair was issued to every enlisted man and officer. It also explains why we can still find NOS examples today.

- Ian

Stony

I counted 62 separate manufactures of these gloves!

Can you show us your source? I am just curious if any other flight jacket makers besides F.O. made them.

Thanks!

EmergencyIan

My source is Charles Lemons series of books on the U.S. Army Ground Forces in WWII. It’s volume 7, part 2. I’ll see if I can get a good picture of the list, put it on Imgur and post it here.

- Ian

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Excellent! Thank you very much for the info and your quick response.

You’re quite welcome! I’m very happy to be of help.

I’m really not so knowledgeable when it comes to leather jackets...not like most of the guys on here, anyhow. But, I do have knowledge as far as other aspects of U.S. military clothing from WWII and also some other items such as watches and other random U.S. items.

- Ian