• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather M-375??

scwells

Watched the movie "Flight Command" recently. The movie was released in 1940 and starred Robert Taylor. Taylor wears a jacket that looks like a leather M-375.
Taylor2.jpg
Taylor3.png

B-Man2

This was posted here by a member a while back as the jacket I think I you’re referring to. It’s an issued USN jacket but it’s difficult to tell if it’s leather from the photo . Would you say that these are M-375 jackets?
09BA9FB8-B3B5-477E-8722-63BACAD17BAC.jpeg

scwells

I posted that photo (with Viriginia Mayo across the bottom) a couple of years ago. Those jackets are all M-375s, made of Bedford Cord. I am attaching an image here of an M-375 from the Full Gear book.
The jacket in the movie "Flight Command" appears to be leather and a very similar pattern used for the M-375. Just thought it made an interesting comparison.
M375.jpg

B-Man2

I posted that photo (with Viriginia Mayo across the bottom) a couple of years ago. Those jackets are all M-375s, made of Bedford Cord. I am attaching an image here of an M-375 from the Full Gear book.
The jacket in the movie "Flight Command" appears to be leather and a very similar pattern used for the M-375. Just thought it made an interesting comparison. View attachment 50730
This is a very interesting jacket in that there’s not much written about it and not many photos of it being worn. I wonder why that’s the case ?

zoomer

Would you say that these are M-375 jackets?
Definitely. They've tucked the waistbands underneath for a bit of a neater look, to match the hidden knit cuffs.

This was a funny sort of design - patterned loosely on spec M-384, a new type flight bag - and I guess it could have gone either way in procurement, leather or cloth. Presumably Taylor's was made just for the flickers of course.

The lack of pix may indicate a short service life due to some impracticality in the design, or maybe appropriations came thru in time to make leather jackets affordable again!

Last edited:

zoomer

This jacket would be better if the waistband were hidden, just like the cuffs. It would give the body a longer, more streamlined look, while retaining wind repellency. Like an Indy style, you could wear it with flannels, board shirts, etc., without showing all that shirttail.

Here I've lengthened the body, hidden the waist and also moved the pockets down for balance.
M375.jpg

In leather it would be more impressive. I think Bob Taylor would have liked it.
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 4.21.18 PM.png

Last edited: