• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather jacket patches project advice and input pls

Brettafett

I am planning to finally get around to making a couple of my own leather squadron patches.

I assume horse, cow and goat would be the most authentic leather to use?
Anyone know where to get some off-cuts approx 8" diameter?

Bombing IP

When I was making patches I contacted John Chapman of Good Wear he would make up a box of what I needed and ship it to me for a nominal fee .Better leather will not be found and he has a ton of waste leather .This would be also useful to craft makers as the pieces he sent me were quite big . I am sure he can hook you up .

BIP

Brettafett

Totally agree about goat...
Yes, I considered contacting John, not sure he'll respond though.
Thanks!

Bombing IP

Hi tell John your on the VLJ and Jeff Wyman sent you he will hook you up .Let me know what happens .

Rgds jeff

Last edited:

ties70

Totally agree about goat...
Yes, I considered contacting John, not sure he'll respond though.
Thanks!

Brett,

actually....goat is my personal choice and I never had problems with the pebble. Nevertheless, I hardly use tanned leather, almost always the natural hides...

IMG_20201105_2200273~2.jpg

If the hides are too rigid, I roll them in different directions before cutting out the patch. It brings out the grain, without getting all pebbly, and softens the leather. So when I start, the leather looks like this...

IMG_20201105_2201322~2.jpg

Smooth enough to paint, plus heavily diluted paint sips into the surface and adds more structure.

I have leather from JC as well, but frankly I hardly use it...and if, only after I have worked the surface with acetone or even sanded the top finish off...

Best regards and I am curious about your first patches!

Ties

Brettafett

Thanks all, probably going to take some time.
Need to get some bits together.... Appreciate all the advice.

Ties, that goat looks great.
I guess I have been eyeing the traditional pebbly bits, or super 'handbag' type stuff.

ties70

Brett, that's what I suspected... the hide in the photo is from a tannery in India (RAUF), was purchased from my usual source in Hamburg and cost me roughly 25 GBP. Obviously, there are a lot of patches in one hide.

I might have found a new source here in Spain, with an online shop....let me get back to you tomorrow.

Ties

ausreenactor

Brett, that's what I suspected... the hide in the photo is from a tannery in India (RAUF), was purchased from my usual source in Hamburg and cost me roughly 25 GBP. Obviously, there are a lot of patches in one hide.

I might have found a new source here in Spain, with an online shop....let me get back to you tomorrow.

Ties
Onya Ties! Class act...

Flightengineer

Brett, I painted all my patches on cow hide. Soft, elastic, and good texture. I still have a lot of scraps. In fact, the main thing, as said here, is the flexibility for the patch, the type of leather is not very important.