• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather 'CWU-45/P' (Civilian of course)

1saxman

Hey, new guy here, just wanted to talk about an inexpensive leather jacket I got that's somewhat similar to a CWU-45/P. Made in Pakistan of surprisingly nice 'distressed' leather with a polyester liner, I was actually amazed. However, the outside corner of the LH pocket came loose right away. I have it in the repair shop now and they had to open up the liner to stitch it. I asked if they could at that time also sew closed the 'handwarmer' pockets, which they will do. This is for two reasons - first, I hate 'handwarmer' pockets and second, they weaken the attachment of the outside corners of the pockets. And, in this case, there's one more thing - the pocket is separated from the handwarmer pocket only by a thin piece of polyester lining, so since I like to dump my keys in my jacket pocket you can see that flimsy lining is not going to hold up. Now with the handwarmer slit stitched, the pocket is as secure as it can be considering the strength of the seams and the leather itself. Plus, since the pocket is sewed onto the complete leather front, it is now backed up by the front of the jacket as well as the liner material. If the liner material wears out in the pocket, the pocket still works. With the handwarmer slit open, the pocket couldn't be used if the liner material failed.
Just saying in case anybody has run into something similar.
I don't have any authentic mil leather jackets. My 'A2' is a 1990 or so Avirex medium brown 'pebbly' cowhide with dark tan cotton muslin lining, with authentic late WWII features; slightly higher collar stand and no handwarmer slits. If I ever lose the 25 pounds I'm carrying, this jacket is going to be way too big so I'm kind of planning for it's replacement, and I'm thinking more of a lambskin - the cowhide jacket is heavy.

Thomas Koehle

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting details but difficult to follow without any pics ...

Also there is a special thread where new members introduce themselves.

Saludos

Thomas