• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather 509th Fighter Bomber Sqd patch I made ....

EMBLEMHUNTER

509th Fighter Bomber Squadron 22'.jpg
509th Fighter Bomber Squadron 22'.jpg
Here's a 509th Fighter Bomber Squadron, on leather , a P-47 unit during WW2 , enjoy :)

KOCowan509

I've found that this is particular Squadron Patch has a lot of variation out in the wild. I was able to find out that the original sketch was submitted in April of 1945; however, this patch was around and in use within the 509th FS well before that. I have been able to locate phots of 509th pilots with this painted on their jacket as early as November 1944. Here is the original sketch along with the entry within the 509 FS history for April 1945:

"After almost a year of bickering and dickering, experimenting and voting a majority finally adopted a squadron insignia drawn up by Sgt. Eli Gutierrez. Although approval has not yet been received from the War Department and Army Air Forces the insignia has caught an enthusiastic support within the squadron. The insignia, with an interpretive description, written by Lt. Duane E. Buholz, follows;
The insignia submitted for approval is thought by personnel of the 509th Fighter Squadron, 405th Fighter Group to be symbolic in both figure and color to the work accomplished by this organization. Superimposed on a background of crimson, the squadron color, is a golden spearhead pointing downward symbolizing the sharp attack and driving wedge-like force so characteristic of the fighter squadron. This, in turn, forms a background for the death-dealing weapons wielded by the squadron, a machine gun and a bomb, whose results are portrayed by a skeleton clothed in black indicating the enemys' dismal and ignominious defeat."

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 2.34.11 PM.png

Here is an "original" 509th FS patch. It's on a Dubow 1755 that I am hoping to re-create (as soon as mine comes in from Bill Kelso). I ordered 9 August 2022 and per BK it's, "shipping next week," we'll see...
509 FS Patch.jpg

B-Man2

Hi KOC and welcome to VLJ!
Congrats on your new BK 1755.
That’s always been one of my favorite contract A2’s . The combination of the seal hide and dull purple knits just make that jacket a standout . Again welcome here.

KOCowan509

Agreed, awesome recreation. In my opinion, it’s a much cooler patch than what was ultimately approved for the 509 FBS.

Thank you for the welcome. Long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping to post some pictures of the BK Dubow jacket when it arrives in a couple weeks. It has only taken 7 months…