• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking color from my a2

Recently got myself a fantastic s/h Rmnz roughwear a2 in seal hh. What a fantastic looking jacket! Anyhow when it gets wet it bleeds it's color from the leather which also leaves a trail of dark brown wherever I've been. It also has some staining on The liner from the same problem. What's the go with that? Anyone got a solution? It's seems strange that a garment of this quality would bleed it's color out so easily.

Cheers

Paul

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
oldskoolonly said:
... It's seems strange that a garment of this quality would bleed it's color out so easily.

I bought a Dubow in the seal HH, new from the factory maybe five years ago. It is perfectly colourfast, and the lining is unmarked.

If I had to guess ... maybe someone monkeyed with your Rough Wear in an attempt to dull down the gloss finish. The wrong solvent may have caused the dye to run, and also the previous owner to sell.

Just a theory ... and if I had to fix it I would probably try sealing the hide with beeswax, conditioner might make it worse.

Yeah I find it strange how something that was or should be color fast can change to a water soluble product. It doesn't seem like the actual coated surface of the leather is bleeding but the color in the hide itself bleeding through. Was thinking of just turning it inside out and hosing it out with water until it stops bleeding but I don't really want to harden the leather to much more than it is as the hide is quite thick already compared to others I have.

Tim P

Any hardening will not survive a decent treatment. maybe a couple of luke warm wash cycles would be more beneficial followed by a natural dry and then a treatment. the jackets integrity will not be damaged but the coulourfast issue should be resolved by the process.

Tim P said:
Any hardening will not survive a decent treatment. maybe a couple of luke warm wash cycles would be more beneficial followed by a natural dry and then a treatment. the jackets integrity will not be damaged but the coulourfast issue should be resolved by the process.

Well I gave that a crack and I think we got somewhere. Two runs in the machine and seems to have got it all out. I've got it here now drying and no sign of bleeding anymore. Will be interesting to see how it comes up when it's dry, I think it's gonna look pretty good as the washing has brought out some of the character of the HH.
Cheers
Paul

No not really, been wearing it a lot over the last 8 months and it's been fantastic. It's certainly developed some awesome character. I'll have to post some pics sometime....