• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest cloth jackets from Good Wear Leather

stanier

Very true and that's why if he wants to keep the business realistic and sustainable in the long run he probably needs to take on some trainees/apprentices. I know some craftsmen get all angsty about taking on apprentices thinking that no one will measure up to their standards but that's utter rot if we're honest. Look at the bespoke shoe and boot makers or bespoke tailors. John Lobb's business didn't go down the pan back in the day when his customer base grew and he had to take on someone to help him and train up in the business.

Might there be an irony here in that given the conditions originals were made in, that appropriately trained apprentices by John might produce even more authentic jackets?!

Juanito

Might there be an irony here in that given the conditions originals were made in, that appropriately trained apprentices by John might produce even more authentic jackets?!
Funny thing this is being discussed as an option as this was one of the huge justification for the Good Wear/Diamond Dave partnership--to produce an "off the rack" at both a lower price with a faster turn time, I would assume to at least bleed off some of the lead time on the GW jackets.

I haven't heard much lately about the joint endeavor aside that there are a number of additional offerings by DD including Rough Wear, though you wouldn't know from the DD website. Given the lack of traffic on the various jacket oriented sites, I would guess the apparent spike in interest has slowed somewhat.

In any case, yes, stunning jackets form both JC and DD as well as a curious business model.

stanier

Funny thing this is being discussed as an option as this was one of the huge justification for the Good Wear/Diamond Dave partnership--to produce an "off the rack" at both a lower price with a faster turn time, I would assume to at least bleed off some of the lead time on the GW jackets.

I haven't heard much lately about the joint endeavor aside that there are a number of additional offerings by DD including Rough Wear, though you wouldn't know from the DD website. Given the lack of traffic on the various jacket oriented sites, I would guess the apparent spike in interest has slowed somewhat.

In any case, yes, stunning jackets form both JC and DD as well as a curious business model.

I don’t feel good about this, but it comes across as having an A and a B team. Who wants a B team jacket? And I’ve a lot of time for DD so please don’t think otherwise. Either the jackets are all Good Wear, or they’re not. Not a half way house. For example, who sewd your ELC or Buzz, or even original? They are from those companies and the companies stand by them.

And on the face of it, two one man businesses backed off is not filling the gap or shortening the queue. I’m aghast some people are waiting 3 plus years! A few of those might well say “buzz off” if contacted in out of the blue years later with a call saying “your jackets ready and you owe $$.

Persimmon

And on the face of it, two one man businesses backed off is not filling the gap or shortening the queue. I’m aghast some people are waiting 3 plus years! A few of those might well say “buzz off” if contacted in out of the blue years later with a call saying “your jackets ready and you owe $$.

I doubt that would happen. The contact is more frequent when it is time to confirm your requirements re design / model etc etc.
However it has often been highlighted - it’s the lack of contact in the interim period before you get to that buying stage that may cause during those waiting years, concern etc.

Personally I would rather John go on a diet and reduce his jacket size to a 40.
That way us smaller guys could get more off the peg / second chance buys from his website.
Everything is that size 44-46.

Juanito

I don’t feel good about this, but it comes across as having an A and a B team. Who wants a B team jacket? And I’ve a lot of time for DD so please don’t think otherwise. Either the jackets are all Good Wear, or they’re not. Not a half way house. For example, who sewd your ELC or Buzz, or even original? They are from those companies and the companies stand by them.

I suppose it is strictly an economics question; what is the marginal difference between a $1,550 Good Wear jacket and either an $849 steerhide or $1,049 horsehide Diamond Leather jacket? Is it worth $500 and two years to simply be able to say that the jacket is a Good Wear? To some, obviously yes, but I would guess the number is diminishing.

Then again, it is probably not fair of me to ask the question when I have not and will not buy a new Good Wear, playing only in the $700 range in the resale market for used Good Wear jackets.

johnwayne

I reckon Regius has been reading this thread, had a nice 'Acme/Aero' GW up for sale at keen price then pulled it! His choice of course but will it come up again soon at higher price? Again his choice!

zoomer

Personally I would rather John go on a diet and reduce his jacket size to a 40.
That way us smaller guys could get more off the peg / second chance buys from his website.
Everything is that size 44-46.
Which isn't much use to the typical suit size 44-46 fella, as they're 2" or less off actual garment measure.