• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later Model G-1 Jacket With A History

Maverickson

Hi All,

Just recently had the pleasure of handling a fairly late model G-1 jacket. It's owner happened to be the last individual shot down in Vietnam.

Steven Hatfield G-1 8.jpg

Lost while flying in an A-6 Intruder with VA-35 aboard the USS America on January 24, 1973. Just three days before the end of hostilities. As explained to me by the owner, they spent too much time over a target then made continuous runs. While at it the North Vietnamese had enough time to set up a quad 20 mm. As a result they bagged them.

As luck would have it they made it out to the coast and ejected. Soon after they were picked up by SAR.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi All,

Just recently had the pleasure of handling a fairly late model G-1 jacket. It's owner happened to be the last individual shot down in Vietnam.

View attachment 42021

Lost while flying in an A-6 Intruder with VA-35 aboard the USS America on January 24, 1973. Just three days before the end of hostilities. As explained to me by the owner, they spent too much time over a target then made continuous runs. While at it the North Vietnamese had enough time to set up a quad 20 mm. As a result they bagged them.

As luck would have it they made it out to the coast and ejected. Soon after they were picked up by SAR.

Cheers, Dave
Dave
That’s a cool jacket with a great history .
I think telling the story behind the jacket is as important as the jacket itself .Of course the most important thing is remembering the people and the sacrifices of those who wore the jacket. Nicely done !