• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late 1980s Avirex "MacArthur" Horsehide A-2: Size 44

Juanito

Avirex Horsehide MacArthur A-2 jacket, size 44, all original and hardly worn. This was purchased sometime around 1988. I am the second owner and have known the jacket since new as I friend of mine in college bought this new after I had bought the same jacket, but in a size 40. Please note the "squared" ans scalloped pocket flaps unique to Avirex's like of A-2s used onlu on the MacArthur jacket.
  • Pit to Pit: 24"
  • Windflap 21 3/4
  • Shoulder seam to Shoulder seam: 20 1/2"
  • Collar Seam to bottom of Waistband: 23 1/4"
  • Shoulder to end of cuff: 25 1/2"
  • Armpit to bottom of knit: 13"
Scoville Zipper
Rau snaps

Please review the measurements and note that the shoulder width is fairly large for a size 44 jacket--there is quite a bit of shoulder area. Secondarily, please note the armpit to bottom of knit measurement at 13" which is rather short--this is a function of the larger (not excessively so) arm holes. While not "blousy" like the early Eastmans, the jacket is shaped a little larger than a wartime A-2, more like a Cable than a Werber for example, and is extremely accommodating to a larger upper body--so much so that even when I was at my heaviest at 186 for my 5' 8' frame, the jacket was never tight. At 165 lbs, the jacket is too roomy on me now.

There is one other odd thing about this jacket. For some reason there are two sets of collar snaps. While the features on my otherwise identical size 40 were the same, it did not have the two snaps. I have no idea why they are there, and they are original to the jacket.

All snaps, zippers and clasps work as they should and there are zero issues with the leather. The horsehide is robust, but not as stiff or heavy like Lost Worlds horsehide.

$175 shipped in the US via USPS Priority Mail, Flat Rate Box. International shipping will also be USPS Priority Mail/Global for the exact cost. While Avirex is not a high end brand and 100% accurate like Good Wear, Eastman or Areo, this is a chance to get a good solid horsehide jacket that in all honesty is probably better constructed than an original. Please note, too, that it is one of the earlier Avirex jackets before the sellout/rebranding to the Cockpit.

Payment via PayPal--thanks!