• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lassie-Come-Home-Langlitz

mtds

I bought my first Langlitz, a Cascade, in 1972 and wore it as my only motorcycle jacket until I replaced it with a Columbia in 1983. Eventually I outgrew both of them and switched to a Barbour International. I sold the '72 and gave the '83 to my son.

In 2003 I had a horrendous shoulder surgery and decided I would buy something to replace the International I had been wearing. I wanted more protection for my now continuously sore shoulder. Times were good financially, so I ordered what I figured would be my final, perfect motorcycle jacket.

Naturally, I bought a Langlitz, but I foolishly strayed from their time-tested designs and ordered several custom options: a Cossack collar, a custom shoulder pad profile, all pockets leather-lined, and additional pockets... a "gun" pocket, a zippered pocket on the inside right, and a pocket on the left upper arm. Once the jacket was in my hands I quickly decided that a padded Columbia looked odd with a Cossack collar and sent it back to have a standard W-style collar installed. That was better, but I was never really happy with the jacket... it wasn't perfect. Sound familiar?

Anyway, I nitpicked and nitpicked: it was too heavy (seven pounds), too stiff, the leather-lined pockets were unnecessary, it was too expensive for the amount of riding I was doing, I wanted something more versatile... blah, blah, blah. So I sold it in October 2006, two years and eight months after I received it from Langlitz.

What followed was a 15-jacket odyssey through the world of off-the-rack jackets, but I still couldn't find the perfect jacket. (Some ports of call on that odyssey are recorded in my six "Inexpensive Jackets" posts on this forum.) Just for yuks I started looking at Langlitz jackets on the bay; I even bought one that was a decent example and a decent fit. Still not perfect, though.

Then in January 2010 I saw my padded Columbia for auction. The seller was the man who bought it from me and the jacket was unmistakably the one made for me, based on the custom shoulder treatment. I won the auction and paid $225 less than its sale price in October 2006. (By January 2010 the economy had tanked and prices on used luxury jackets had plunged.)

The seller lived nearby and offered to deliver it. I researched him and decided to allow the delivery. When he arrived I looked the jacket over; it was clear it hadn't seen much use in the three years and two months he had owned it. I slipped it on and thought, "Hello, friend."

I said, “It fits like it was made for me,” and chuckled, expecting to share a laugh with him.

He said, “Yes, it does seem like a good fit.”

I realized he didn't know that he bought the jacket from me. Trying to be gentle, given the difference between what he paid me and what I was now paying him, I showed him my name stamped inside the breast pocket (a Langlitz practice).

His first words? “But I paid you a lot more than you paid me!”

I suggested he look at his period of ownership as a rental... the monthly rate was a bargain.

After a little friendly conversation he took off. I settled in to look the jacket over closely and found that I had left items in the pockets when I shipped it to him. My stuff was still there: a pair of AA batteries I carried as back-ups for my camera, a pencil stub I used to hold the choke lever open, and an old to-do list. I wondered if he had ever worn the jacket at all. Still, I gave the jacket a good cleaning and I've been wearing it regularly since its return. It still has the same imperfections, but now I know that no jacket will be perfect for long, and nothing fits like a custom-made Langlitz. So, this one stays with me until the end:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tommer45

Yes very cool story. I enjoyed the read. The jacket looks great... I think we all know what you mean by "still not perfect". Both of my Langlitz' and my Aero are so close to perfect... but still not.

Best of luck with the jacket and by the way your original '72 Cascade is probably my favorite jacket ever. Love that look.

Tommer

les_garten

mtds said:

Really like your Jacket.

I have a Padded Pocket in Med Cow from them.

I want to get a Goat Padded pocket with some modz.

That's why I wanted to bump your old thread here.

I am considering a Straight Zip w/Cossack Collar and delete a few pockets here and there and add a few pockets like a second gun pocket.

I am curious about the modz you did, which ones you liked in the end and which ones you would do different.

I know the resale will be affected with my Collar choice and zip choice.

I wonder if they'll line the pockets with Goat on a Goat Jacket?

mtds

"I am curious about the modz you did, which ones you liked in the end and which ones you would do different."

---I'd stick with the padding. Despite the extra weight it does provide some extra protection and the shoulders make the jacket hang nicely.
---I'd leave off the sleeve pocket on the left sleeve. It is awkward to access and seems to me to weaken the sleeve.
---I'd leave off the "gun pocket" and replace it with a slash pocket on the outside of the jacket.
---The leather-lined pockets are a toss-up. They add a lot of weight and thickness and I've never had a problem with Langlitz' cloth pockets wearing through. Their stock cloth pocket material is very heavy, almost canvas. Still, leather is cool, and maybe with goat the thickness/weight issue would go away.
---I'd definitely stick with the overlapping front; it is much more weather-tight.
---Finally, the cossack collar. FWIW, I think the cossack is great on Langlitz jackets without waist bands, like the Crescent and Cascade, but looks out-of-balance on a Columbia.

I hope this helps some. I know many people prefer LW and others, but Langlitz fit and service are hard to beat.

les_garten

mtds said:
"I am curious about the modz you did, which ones you liked in the end and which ones you would do different."

---I'd stick with the padding. Despite the extra weight it does provide some extra protection and the shoulders make the jacket hang nicely.
---I'd leave off the sleeve pocket on the left sleeve. It is awkward to access and seems to me to weaken the sleeve.
---I'd leave off the "gun pocket" and replace it with a slash pocket on the outside of the jacket.
---The leather-lined pockets are a toss-up. They add a lot of weight and thickness and I've never had a problem with Langlitz' cloth pockets wearing through. Their stock cloth pocket material is very heavy, almost canvas. Still, leather is cool, and maybe with goat the thickness/weight issue would go away.
---I'd definitely stick with the overlapping front; it is much more weather-tight.
---Finally, the cossack collar. FWIW, I think the cossack is great on Langlitz jackets without waist bands, like the Crescent and Cascade, but looks out-of-balance on a Columbia.

I hope this helps some. I know many people prefer LW and others, but Langlitz fit and service are hard to beat.

Thanx! Great Jacket you have there!

les_garten

edmond said:
i wish my new langlitz cascade goat will last me like all your langlitz buddy

IMG_1575.jpg

Edmond,
You've had your Goat for a while, how do you like it? Do you wish you had got it in Cow?

eighty7h

I'm kind of late to the party here, but I just have to say how much I enjoy this story. I've read and reread it several times. I think I am just going to have to get a very similar jacket. I have a Cascade in goat that I purchased new two years ago about this time of year and it is a great riding jacket. Your Columbia is such a cool jacket. Thanks very much for posting this account and the pictures.

les_garten

eighty7h said:
I'm kind of late to the party here, but I just have to say how much I enjoy this story. I've read and reread it several times. I think I am just going to have to get a very similar jacket. I have a Cascade in goat that I purchased new two years ago about this time of year and it is a great riding jacket. Your Columbia is such a cool jacket. Thanks very much for posting this account and the pictures.

Wait for my next review on mine.

I just bought this and really like it:

We'll build for you:
Columbia.................................................$1050
in dark brown Goatskin.........................$100
with a straight front zipper
Cossack collar with snap
Hidden bottom snap
2" finished windflap (to facilitate the snap as well as keep out wind)
Shoulder & Elbow pads........................$175
Talon zippers, brass
Wallet pocket.........................................$10
Right forearm pocket............................$10
Left biceps pocket.................................$10
Left & Right gun pockets.....................$40
-gun pockets lined with goatskin rather than cowhide
Left & Right stash pockets..................$10
Leather line (goat) x2 hand pockets...$20

Total for your jacket........................$1425

mtds

eighty7h said:
Thanks very much for posting this account and the pictures.
You are quite welcome! I've read many posts on this site that made me want to say the same thing. Great site with some very knowledgeable and experienced contributors. I even read the forums by non-motorcyclists... :D

eighty7h

Thanks mtds. I am really taken with your Columbia...so much so that I am currently working on an order for a similar one. Mine will be dark brown cowhide and a standard Columbia with additions only of elbow and shoulder pads. i am wondering what weight leather yours is made of. I received samples this week and after handling both; I am leaning toward the heavy weight hide as opposed to the mid weight. Langlitz seems to recommend mid weight; so I'm still considering this choice as I respect their opinion. I would appreciate thoughts from anyone on the leather weight issue...comfort, break in time, and protection.

les_garten

eighty7h said:
Thanks mtds. I am really taken with your Columbia...so much so that I am currently working on an order for a similar one. Mine will be dark brown cowhide and a standard Columbia with additions only of elbow and shoulder pads. i am wondering what weight leather yours is made of. I received samples this week and after handling both; I am leaning toward the heavy weight hide as opposed to the mid weight. Langlitz seems to recommend mid weight; so I'm still considering this choice as I respect their opinion. I would appreciate thoughts from anyone on the leather weight issue...comfort, break in time, and protection.

I would strongly council against getting the Heavy Cow. Their mid weight cow IS Heavy Cow.

Their heavy cow should come with a psychiatric evaluation requirement.

eighty7h

Must be some very stout leather. The samples don't feel much different as far as texture and stiffness goes; but then again they are small pieces. Maybe a little more grain to the heavy sample. I appreciate the response. Thanks.

les_garten

eighty7h said:
Must be some very stout leather. The samples don't feel much different as far as texture and stiffness goes; but then again they are small pieces. Maybe a little more grain to the heavy sample. I appreciate the response. Thanks.

Did you get the Goat samples too?

mtds

eighty7h said:

To answer your question, the 2004 "Lassie-Come-Home" Columbia is medium weight cowhide.

I've owned three Columbia's, all medium; one Cascade in medium; and one Crescent in heavy weight. IMHO the medium weight leather, especially with the addition of shoulder and elbow pads, is plenty heavy for anytime I'd wear leather. But this is purely an opinion; I don't have the variety of experience of most of the posters here, so please take it for what it's worth.

I think comfort comes with fit and one might be able to wear a heavier jacket if it fit really well. Even so, this custom 2004 Columbia with the padding and the leather-lined pockets is close to armor. The mobility and flexibility at joints is great, but it feels a little like plate armor might have felt, with most panels pretty stiff. Consider the areas where there are multiple layers of leather. The waist band is at least two or three thicknesses and has so much stitching that it stays stiff. Where the left slash pocket overlaps the "gun" pocket there are five layers of leather. That's why, if I had it to do over again, I would stay with their canvas pockets, except maybe one pocket I'd reserve for special use.

The Crescent was made of heavy cowhide and seemed to me to break in somewhat more slowly than the three other Langlitz jackets made for me, but it wasn't an ordeal.

No clue about protection. Looking at my son's track gear, the leather is much thinner and the protection comes from all the added padding and plates and pucks. Talk about armor! Actually, I haven't yet hit the pavement wearing a Langlitz jacket and I hope I never do!

eighty7h

Thanks Les and mtds. Very helpful information. Yes, I am familiar with the goat as I have a Cascade that is goatskin. It is a really comfortable jacket. I just think I want this next one to be cow. I am going to go with the standard canvas lined pockets. I hadn't thought about the added stiffness from the padding and waist band; so the mid weight is making more sense at this point. The heavy leather might be a bit much in this model of jacket with the options I want. Thanks again.

les_garten

eighty7h said:
Thanks Les and mtds. Very helpful information. Yes, I am familiar with the goat as I have a Cascade that is goatskin. It is a really comfortable jacket. I just think I want this next one to be cow. I am going to go with the standard canvas lined pockets. I hadn't thought about the added stiffness from the padding and waist band; so the mid weight is making more sense at this point. The heavy leather might be a bit much in this model of jacket with the options I want. Thanks again.

I have a Goat and a mid weight Cow.

The Goat samples feel thin and at first you might think that a LL Goatskin would be a flimsy jacket. But as you know, their Goatskin Jackets are very substantial in their own right. So compare the thickness of the Goat sample to the Cow samples and you'll see that the stiffness and thickness starts ramping up. Take the Goat and the Cow samples and hold them up and let them flop over, etc. Fold them in half and see how close the leather folds on itself.

The Leather samples give a sense of Slackness that you don't see when you have a big chunk of it stitched to other big chunks. From my Goat samples, you would have thought that my Goat Columbia would be limp as a Deerskin glove practically, but my Goat Jacket, while supple ain't no pansy Jacket for sure! It's heavy and substantial.

Since you have their Goat, it will help you a lot to see how the cow will behave compared to the Goat. I had the Cow. I was worried about getting a Jacket that's too limp, I didn't want anything like Lambskin. But was very happy with the Goat when I got it.

The med weight Cow is exactly how I would want a "Heavy" cow jacket to be. Reminds me of the Black Moto-Cop Jackets worn by the Bad guys(David Soul, etc) in "Magnum Force" if you remember that movie. It's definitely something a Cop could hang a belt full of gun, cuffs, and bullets on. It has the body and weight to hold it's own against that kinda weight bearing.

eighty7h

@mtds. My Columbia is on order. It should be done by the end of May, if not sooner. I am really looking forward to receiving it. Hopefully, it will stay cool up here for awhile longer; so I can get some time with it on the bike. I can always head for the mountains, I guess. It will be very similar to yours. I will try to post some pictures and a short review when I can. Hope I'm not stealing your thread.