• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lancaster and flying fortress etc modern with crews

bazzer

Found these
091_5906w5.jpg
081_6501w6.jpg
081_7325w6.jpg
061_9036w5.jpg
061_9548w5.jpg
061_9043w5-.jpg
061_9052w5.jpg
051_1029w5.jpg
041_2954w4.jpg
041_3415w4.jpg

Flightengineer

Excellent photos, though small in size. Lancaster's pics with crews are very realistic for my taste and looks like period, but the crew of the B17 really looks like pensioners and this destroys the illusion :)

B-Man2

Excellent photos, though small in size. Lancaster's pics with crews are very realistic for my taste and looks like period, but the crew of the B17 really looks like pensioners and this destroys the illusion :)
Agree with you Dmitry :D
That B-17 crew was a little “ long in the tooth” as we say here in the US . Especially when you consider that the original guys were just kids of 18- 25. But it looks like the old guys were having fun doing it and they are trying to keep history alive , so good for them. On a side note they all had some pretty cool authentic looking gear , and where did those guys find all those mosquito boots? Somebody has got to be reproducing those because there can’t be that many originals around in that good of shape . Always liked those boots .

Kermit3D

I had missed that ! Beautiful photos, especially those of the Lancaster at dusk and at night. ... this bomber has incredible charisma.
I have never heard a Lancaster in flight, the sounds of the 4 Rolls-Royce Merlin must be incredible.

Too bad this Irvin has pockets. ;)

132_2516w8-jpg.61869

Last edited:

Cocker

I have never heard a Lancaster in flight, the sounds of the 4 Rolls-Royce Merlin must be incredible.

Beautiful, and... somewhat disappointing! You would expect a roar, something big, but the 4 Merlin at cruise power make for a very smooth, purring sound. Compared to the B-17, it's somewhat lacking in "oompf" factor, but compensating it with melody.