• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Lady Satan"

Stony

About 15 years ago I acquired a painted A-2 the belonged to the navigator of a B-17 called "Lady Satan". To make a long story short, through donations from VLJ members and the general public, we got the funds together to send the jacket to the pilot of "Lady Satan" who had his A-2 stolen right after he got to England.

I contacted his daughter recently (he had passed away some years ago) as I didn't have any pictures of the jacket. She took some pictures and sent them to me today, so I thought I'd post them.

e9b5fc26-9c21-42b0-b033-07daa2cd494e-original.jpg

c18dd709-beb2-4818-9ba6-8e26ef25e086-original.jpg

a1e5eea6-2123-4dad-be05-0e231d1f0a17-original.jpg

The navigator's name is written in ink below the label, R.K. Taylor. He died in his early 40s and his nephew sold the jacket to a collector I know. The co-pilot of "Lady Satan" also had his jacket and it's pretty much identical to this one. They said the crew would give their jackets to the crew chief after every mission and he would have another bomb painted on. As you can see, their are 35 bombs on the back of the jacket, so they were a late war crew.

B-Man2

Great story, cool jacket .
If you know, are there any pictures of the presentation or the vet wearing the jacket?
Be great if there were.

Stony

Great story, cool jacket .
If you know, are there any pictures of the presentation or the vet wearing the jacket?
Be great if there were.

I have the original magazine article that was in Fly Past, so when I find it I will post the picture that was in the article.

I remember one of the VLJ members drove from N.C. down to FL to take that picture, but I can't remember who that was. Do any of the long standing VLJ members remember who drove down to take the picture?

Angela Schulte

About 15 years ago I acquired a painted A-2 the belonged to the navigator of a B-17 called "Lady Satan". To make a long story short, through donations from VLJ members and the general public, we got the funds together to send the jacket to the pilot of "Lady Satan" who had his A-2 stolen right after he got to England.

I contacted his daughter recently (he had passed away some years ago) as I didn't have any pictures of the jacket. She took some pictures and sent them to me today, so I thought I'd post them.

e9b5fc26-9c21-42b0-b033-07daa2cd494e-original.jpg

c18dd709-beb2-4818-9ba6-8e26ef25e086-original.jpg

a1e5eea6-2123-4dad-be05-0e231d1f0a17-original.jpg

The navigator's name is written in ink below the label, R.K. Taylor. He died in his early 40s and his nephew sold the jacket to a collector I know. The co-pilot of "Lady Satan" also had his jacket and it's pretty much identical to this one. They said the crew would give their jackets to the crew chief after every mission and he would have another bomb painted on. As you can see, their are 35 bombs on the back of the jacket, so they were a late war crew.
My grandfather was the tail gunner on this plane. It was very cool to see the jacket!

Carl

There were several planes with the name "Lady Satan". Are you sure this was your grandfather's plane? If it was, then that is very cool.
Did you not have a "Dame Satan" as well when I bought the J Hallecy A2 from you ?

Angela Schulte

Did you not have a "Dame Satan" as well when I bought the J Hallecy A2 from you ?
Stoney,
He flew 35 missions from the paperwork I have. So that matched with the jacket, and I have a letter from one of the people he flew with signed Bob. That could be Robert from the artical. He was in the 452 Bomb group based in Britain. I suppose it very well could be a different one though. Even so the jacket reminds of him. He passed when I was 8. I've been trying to find more information about him. I have a photo album full of newspaper clippings, pictures, letters from other men he served with. As well as papers from the government. And a copy of what looks like in german what was passed around when the war ended. If you have information on any other Lady Satans that had 35 missions I would love to hear from you.
Angie