• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Label Spotting

SteveN

Anyone ever seen a label in one of these?

IMGP1961.jpg

Hacker, what book is this picture from?

Cheers,
- SteveN

hacker

SteveN said:
Anyone ever seen a label in one of these?

IMGP1961.jpg

Hacker, what book is this picture from?

Cheers,
- SteveN

Combat Flying Clothing.......by C.G. Sweeting

Hack

SteveN

Interesting that no one has seen a label for one of these either. It makes me wonder if there ever was an AN-J-3....

Regards,
- SteveN

SteveN

Thanks. I read (and posted in) that thread. I just wanted to confirm that no labels of any kind seem to have ever been spotted in AN-J-3. Seems quite odd, given the document that indicates this is a replacement for the A-2, that not a single example has been spotted. This seems to give weight to Swings argument that what we see is nothing more then prototypes or very small production runs that never made it to the field.

Regards,
- Steve

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SteveN said:
Thanks. I read (and posted in) that thread. I just wanted to confirm that no labels of any kind seem to have ever been spotted in AN-J-3.

That was my point, the question was asked then, and no one here has seen a label.

This from John Chapmans CD .....

At one point in 1943 Congress decided to unite both Air Force and Navy jacket contracts, and the result would be jackets with contracts that start with AN. At one point AAF people wanted to make a jacket like the A-2 and the Navy M-422a, and the result was what people now call an AN-J-3 (incorrect, as the AN-6552 was an AN-J-3 on the contracts, but not on the labels in the jackets), though there's no evidence of this type of jacket being issued, or listed in the Class 13 catalogue. Also, none exist that I've seen with a label still in it, though I have seen one in which the lining had an AN inspector stamp. This jacket type appears to have been made in small numbers by several makers, with very different designs. There are some with epaulettes, some without, and some with bi-swing backs, and some without. The B-10 jacket was chosen to replace the A-2, rather than this type of jacket.

tamoko

No Hack
On photo is a "mod" fantasy AN-6552, there are no other photos from this example.
I think this is speculation like on "SUIT UP" site.

Jackets which are spotted on John CD and senico's WASP, other sealbeachbum's pilot jacket are in museum http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=380
is another one, maybe AN-J-3

On this Jacket the Label looks like
"Mediman Bros. (Or something??? XXXXMAN BROS.)
UNIFORMS Mens Wear Portland Seattle"

I own this jacket with original pocket Label from Abercrombie & Fitch .Co. NY

"In 1927, Abercrombie & Fitch outfitted Charles Lindbergh for his historic flight across the Atlantic Ocean."
To label info.
"In 1928, Fitch retired from the company, and Abercrombie & Fitch Co. continued to expand. The company rarely sold products with a name brand during this period, preferring to label nearly everything with their own logo. In 1939, it adopted the slogan, "The Greatest Sporting Goods Store in the World"."
Or Hack, do you have this Jacket with Label ?
"Combat Flying Clothing.......by C.G. Sweeting" and do you have photos of pilots who have worn this jacket?

hacker

tamoko said:
No Hack

Or Hack, do you have this Jacket with Label ?
"Combat Flying Clothing.......by C.G. Sweeting" and do you have photos of pilots who have worn this jacket?

I'm not following you, I only posted the photo. I have never seen one tagged that way to date. I don't belief they were officially issued.....

Hack