• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L2-B Jackets and Orange lining

Happy Hooligan

So I just found a nice 1961 L2-B jacket and it has orange lining, yet the Buzz description on HP says the orange lining was introduced in 1964?

Is that correct?

Greg Gale

Sorry to hijack the thread, but did all MA-1s have orange lining? or was it also introduced in 1960 only?

unclegrumpy

Sorry to hijack the thread, but did all MA-1s have orange lining? or was it also introduced in 1960 only?

No, linings were a shade of green earlier, and then green again at the end of the their use. I don't recall the year they went back to green, but it was just before the Nomex jackets came out in the middle 1970's. It would be interesting to see if Stu has more specific contract date related information on those.

That said, the orange linings are what most term "Vietnam era"....and I think fall pretty accurately in the early 1960's to early 1970's time frame. I am talking about issued originals here, because there were period commercial versions made by some of the same manufactures that did not follow the government specs.

Monsoon

My dad had an Alpha L-2b. Orange lining, dated Sep 1965. My niece has it now since it was a medium and she was the only person it would fit.

Monsoon

It would’ve fit me but you didn’t ask!

Have to pry it from her cold, dead hands now. She got the L-2B and one of her sisters got the Skyline N-2 parka.

Not rubbing it in, but both were probably the nicest I've seen. Knits are perfect. No holes or stains, and I'm surprised because I know my dad wore the parka a lot.

B-Man2

Have to pry it from her cold, dead hands now. She got the L-2B and one of her sisters got the Skyline N-2 parka.

Not rubbing it in, but both were probably the nicest I've seen. Knits are perfect. No holes or stains, and I'm surprised because I know my dad wore the parka a lot.
Tickets to a concert of her favorite rock group might just loosen that grip up a bit;)

Monsoon

Kinda on the whole MA-1/L-2B topic, does anyone know where I can get the leather name tags made that go into the protective sleeve on the jacket? They are smaller than the average tag.

Edit: MASH is a no-go. Wrong wings.

Last edited:

Jorge_GC

Hi all, I need a little help on confirming something:

I've found an L-2B dated to 1979 with dark green inner lining. Is that legit? Most of the late 70s' L-2B I've run into are mostly with safety orange lining. I just want to make sure it's not heavily modified and it's a real deal.

The model number and stock number below:

MIL-J-7448J
Stock Number: 8415-00-017-0597
DLA100-78-C-0379
Made by Alpha

Thanks for the help in advance.

Monsoon

Hi all, I need a little help on confirming something:

I've found an L-2B dated to 1979 with dark green inner lining. Is that legit? Most of the late 70s' L-2B I've run into are mostly with safety orange lining. I just want to make sure it's not heavily modified and it's a real deal.

The model number and stock number below:

MIL-J-7448J
Stock Number: 8415-00-017-0597
DLA100-78-C-0379
Made by Alpha

Thanks for the help in advance.

I did a google search for that DLA contract and it comes up as a contract for M65 field jackets

Jorge_GC

I did a google search for that DLA contract and it comes up as a contract for M65 field jackets
Hi there,

That's why it is a little weird. I came up with M-65 field jacket info as well... Screenshot of the label attached.

Attachments

• screenshot_617.png
    screenshot_617.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 325

Stony

First orange lining was 1960 Skyline as was posted earlier in this thread. That first orange lining was like the previous green/grey linings of the 50s in that is what very silky in look and feel. The later orange linings were more cheap looking (my description for lack of more technical terms).