• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.W. Foster, G-1, 7823(AER); DA-36-243-QM(CTM)2134; anyone familiar?

MaydayWei

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately, it appears that I've caught the leather jacket bug; I've got it particularly bad for the G-1. Oh no, how tragic. :)
Anyways, I've always been curious about an original early-years G-1 and am contemplating one in pretty good nick in a size 38.
As such, I was wondering if anyone here owns this particular contract (L.W. Foster Sportswear, 7823(AER), DA-36-243-QM(CTM)2134) and could give some insight as to the sizing.
Was this contract particularly long? Did it have broad shoulders? Any particular flaws with this contract? I also understand that vintage sizes usually ran a little smaller than the tagged size.
Any input or comments are appreciated, thanks in advance!

On a side note, I found that JFK's recently auctioned G-1 also belonged to this particular contract too; so, that's pretty cool.

Flightengineer

I had a jacket from this contract in 42 size (sold) and now I have it in size 40.
V-siluette typical for this contract from 1958, it has narrow torso and broad shoulders (which is why 42 were sold).
At size 40 the shoulders are WIDER than on my G-1 1968 Bril Bros in size 42. This 40 fits like 38 in the torso and like 42 in the shoulders.
Sleeve length and jacket length are usual for G-1.
These are very nice jackets with great cool leather, but for slim athletic guys without a belly :)

This is how size 40 fits in the photos.
I am 1m 80 cm height 76-78 kg, athletic build.

cd672c289dd6.jpg

cfe25386c7f8.jpg

028b0bda64b3.jpg

fe2f4bc71430.jpg

fb0757c6495b.jpg

Hope this helps.

Sorry if I can't answer other questions quickly, after forum was updated every visit to the forum turned into a lottery for me and now I can't write here as often as I would like.

MaydayWei

I had a jacket from this contract in 42 size (sold) and now I have it in size 40.
V-siluette typical for this contract from 1958, it has narrow torso and broad shoulders (which is why 42 were sold).
At size 40 the shoulders are WIDER than on my G-1 1968 Bril Bros in size 42. This 40 fits like 38 in the torso and like 42 in the shoulders.
Sleeve length and jacket length are usual for G-1.
These are very nice jackets with great cool leather, but for slim athletic guys without a belly :)

This is how size 40 fits in the photos.
I am 1m 80 cm height 76-78 kg, athletic build.

Hope this helps.

Sorry if I can't answer other questions quickly, after forum was updated every visit to the forum turned into a lottery for me and now I can't write here as often as I would like.

That's incredibly helpful! Thank you very much for your response and that insight.
I have to say, that jacket fits you bang on; you nailed that fit.
It seems from the pictures that it would be a relatively long one too; which is perfect for your height!
From what you've said above, I'm guessing you'd normally opt for a 42 in issued G-1s but a 40 in this contract was the better fit for you in the shoulders?

And on a side note, I've also been having problems logging on to the VLJ since the update; sometimes it works, sometimes the page just fails to load (I had thought it was my Wifi, but its not)

Flightengineer

Glad to help.Yes, you are right. LW Foster 40 fits better in shoulders.
All my flight jackets are size 40 (A2s, B-15s, MA-1, etc.) but my G-1s usually size 42. This Foster is an exception. Yes, it fits perfectly, and this jacket has a big history.
I always thought JFK had a contract from Ralph. Or am I missing something?

MikeyB-17

I used to have one of that contract, one of several over the years, mine was a 42 and fitted like it. I’m not particularly slim or athletic, but I don’t recall any sizing issues. I have had other G-1’s that didn’t fit as tagged (a Gregory Sportswear 42 which was way to small, like a 38, and an Irvin B. Foster 44 which fitted like a 42), but this one was fine. I wish I didn’t sell it, which is a phrase you may become familiar with if you keep this nonsense up. :)

MaydayWei

Glad to help.Yes, you are right. LW Foster 40 fits better in shoulders.
All my flight jackets are size 40 (A2s, B-15s, MA-1, etc.) but my G-1s usually size 42. This Foster is an exception. Yes, it fits perfectly, and this jacket has a big history.
I always thought JFK had a contract from Ralph. Or am I missing something?

I think Jorge said somewhere that JFK had 2 jackets; that might be why.
I'm pretty sure that one of them is an LW Foster; the other maybe a Ralph Edwards then?
But correct me if I'm wrong haha.

MaydayWei

I used to have one of that contract, one of several over the years, mine was a 42 and fitted like it. I’m not particularly slim or athletic, but I don’t recall any sizing issues. I have had other G-1’s that didn’t fit as tagged (a Gregory Sportswear 42 which was way to small, like a 38, and an Irvin B. Foster 44 which fitted like a 42), but this one was fine. I wish I didn’t sell it, which is a phrase you may become familiar with if you keep this nonsense up. :)

I sure hope I don't fall too far down the rabbit hole!
Please warm me with tales of caution to curb my enthusiasm now! ;)