• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L&T Sportswear A2-any ideas

Roughwear

Do any of you know anything about the maker of this jacket on Ebay? The label reads: TYPE A2 DWG No W535A C-25571 L&T SPORTSWEAR, INC. LOS ANGELES, CA. PROPERTY AIR FORCES U.S. ARMY". Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

The contract details do not conform to all the existing ones I know so could it be a civilian jacket badged up with a USAAF spec label? It would appear to date from the war. David, I could not find any reference to the maker in Full Gear!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
The contract details do not conform to all the existing ones I know so could it be a civilian jacket badged up with a USAAF spec label?

Yes, looks like those post war, made up labels, commonly found in B-15's. I guess the makers name was invented along with the other details.

A quick Google found one other example, which looks somehow familiar ...

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showi ... &itemid=18

Roughwear

The brass Conmar zipper which dates from 1941-4 might suggest the jacket dates from the War, though it could be NOS.

Of course the drawing no. is made up and as David says this was common post war on B-15s. I'm not convinced the mfg was made up though.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Of course the drawing no. is made up and as David says this was common post war on B-15s. I'm not convinced the mfg was made up though.

If it was a maker, rather than a label, I think Google would turn up other examples.

All it finds is a retail clothing store in Geraldine, AL.

Roughwear

David, Google is not the be all and end all. I have used it without success to search for several known makers of Irvins for example.

Roughwear

Using Google a possible candidate for L&T Sportswear is Lord and Taylor, the department store, that has been in existence for many years and badges up other peoples clothes with their own labels. US members may be able to shed more light on this.

Burnsie

Here's another example, interestingly without a windflap:
LTA-2.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Using Google a possible candidate for L&T Sportswear is Lord and Taylor, the department store ...

Maybe, but Lord & Taylor are New York based, and this label is Los Angeles.

asiamiles

Curious that the one without the windflap should have a shoulder roundel, but one with no lettering; so what...hand painted?

Does anyone think the basic A-2 design actually looks better without a windflap?

asiamiles

It's been 10 years so that pic of the L&T A-2 without the windflap is no longer where it was, but happened to be watching a film last night and my attention was immediately caught by this 'no windflap' A-2. Could it be a L&T? Well yes, but of course it could be made by just about anybody.

rumble.jpg

Flightengineer

My son sent me a link to this

Are these the next Pakistan made type AVI / 5 stars?
Not going to buy, just curious ...

CoopDog

My son sent me a link to this

Are these the next Pakistan made type AVI / 5 stars?
Not going to buy, just curious ...

“Little is known of this Los Angeles maker.” Utter nonsense. Just tell us who makes the jacket. And why make a repro. of a repro.?

Last edited:

crism1

I did read somewhere that they are made in mexico by a skilled man that personally worked for the smws' owner. Not speaking directly for the A-2 but i bought some stuff from them these years and the quality has been very good all the time. If you scavenge the internet for comments, A-2 are well reviewed