• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2A with collar?

dinomartino1

L-2A with collar?
This is a luftwaffe photo from 1956.
When blown up you can see the collar appears to be part of the jacket, but I can't see a webbing patch that should be on the left hand side of the zipper.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-41611-0001,_München,_erste_Düsenjäger_der_Bundeswehr-2.jpg

The former commander of the night fighter and current head of the West German NATO Air Force, Lieutenant General Kammhuber, described the first launch of West German jet fighters on 24.9.1956 under the eyes of Minister of War Blank on the NATO Flugplatz Fürstenfeldbruck near Munich. The jet fighters supplied by the United States carry a stylized Iron Cross as a sovereign badge, similar to the badge of German warplanes in the First World War.
Shown here: War Minister Blank (center); 1. Ltn. Ravella (left), Lieutenant General Kammhuber (2nd left), at the start of the T33 jet fighter.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-41611-0001,_München,_erste_Düsenjäger_der_Bundeswehr.jpg

RSF36043.jpeg

Last edited:

falcon_ib

Probably the collar from the shirt he was wearing underneath. With the way the knit collar fits it's fairly easy for a shirt collar to fold outside

MikeyB-17

Yeah I reckon it’s the flight suit collar. I reckon you can see the knit collar underneath, and I can see the oxygen mask tab too.

Doctor Damage

Probably the collar from the shirt he was wearing underneath. With the way the knit collar fits it's fairly easy for a shirt collar to fold outside
Agree...flight suit collar...not the L-2A.
Yes this the pointy Collar of the K-2a underneath. Some pilots wear it like that in the 1950's
You see this done quite commonly among USAF pilots and aircrew in period photos.