• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2A Flight Jacket

Marv

My latest purchase as I have recently been getting into nylon, is a L-2A flight repro made by Weintraub Bros Co in a size Large.

It's a good fit but maybe a little short in the torso length than I am used to but i'm guessing that is the jacket style.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos of the jacket.

colekwok

How is the quality of the jacket? I came across quite a few of these Weintraub jackets on the bay many times. I remember I read something about their replica a long time ago, either here or at the hat forum.

Peter Graham

Looks good to me. All the correct features are there and it looks a nice slim cut. Unfortunately L series jackets are all rather short, some more so than others. Being a shortarse, they work well for me but I can see it being a problem for a taller person.

Marv

With me being a total newbie when it comes to nylon I can't really compare the two jackets i've recently bought against an original for quality however, the L-2A from Weintraub seems pretty decent with good stitching, excellent knits (tubular) which are strong, all the hardware works great, zippers smooth and snap press studs solid.

The fit is somewhat on the slim side but definately not uncomfortable or resetrictive in movement and mentioned earlier, a little short on the torso than I am used to but the waistband still covers my jean belt look area ok (my ELC B-10 is longer which i compaired it against) but as Peter mentioned this is the style/cut of the jacket type so it's not an issue.

The jacket is brand new and came with the manufacture labels still attached but I have no clue as to when the jacket was actually made so could be a NOS repro, i did take a look at the Weintraub Bros website and it seems that the L2-A is no longer manufactured so I have no clue as to it's age.

I did some searching both on the forum here and on the hat lounge for any reviews but there was nothing specific apart from a discussion mentioning the Weintraub Bros and Alpha Ind jackets and from what it read there were pretty close in quality with the Weintraub Bros coming out slightly better overall.

Like I say, I 'm new to nylon jackets but I have snooping around the net a lot recently gathering information and I have decided that my next nylon jacket with be an original so have been keeping my eye out (on the bay) for a good condition Skyline L-2B/MA-1 in Sage green either in a Large or XLarge depending on measurements as I am still learning regarding the different types of fit between the styles eg. L2A /B slimmer fit than the MA-1 etc.

I'm in no real rush to pick up an original at present just keeping my eye out and if one pops up that fits the bill at the right price then great but any advice on fit from you chaps in the know would be most appreciated.

NB> here's a couple my first nylon purchase, more of a B-15c (mod) than an MA-1 as the label states though.

Last edited:

colekwok

The L-2 jackets do vary in length quite a lot. I have three original L-2B from different eras and they all differ in lengths. Including the MA-1, they usually do not match up well with modern day low waist jeans. Good condition early originals are hard to come by, you need to be patient, and they do not come cheap these days.

Marv

thanks peter, had a quick look as yes it looks like a pretty cool jacket however, the back length is too short and it would be half way up my back i'm afraid and with shipping & import costs too, they would add up to more than the jacket price.

cheers anyway though, appreciated.

Officer Dibley

Alpha’s are crap ! Weintraub are like Bronson Bros. Great value for money. Something that seems to trump authenticity here nowadays.