• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KOREAN WAR THE GARDNER CORPORATION TYPE B-15B FLYING JACKET

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Gents,

This time I would like to share a very rare example from the Korean War that marked the birth of the first nylon version of the B-15 series; the TYPE B-15B Intermediate Flying Jacket. They were developed when WWII ended and around this time, L-2 for light zones, N-2 and N-3 for heavy zones (which also used olive green nylon) were also adopted. From this point on, all USAF flight jackets were replaced with nylon.

B-15B uses wool for its inner lining for heat insulation, and it is wrapped with rayon lining in a color called Olive Drab No. 71. The outer shell is made of Olive Green nylon, Spec 16159, and the collar is made of natural mouton.

This jacket belonged to James B. Fitz Gerald. During the Korean War, he flew out of Japan with the 8th Bomb Squadron, 452nd Bomb Wing in the Douglas B-26 Invader.

The condition of this jacket is superb, which is amazing considering this jacket is over 70 years old. All the parts are original to the jacket. No UV fading on the shell. Mouton is intact. Original blackened PRENTICE zippers are working perfectly.

Left chest depicts a Senior Pilot Wings name tag, impressed “JAMES B. FITZ GERALD / U.S. AIR FORCE”.

Left shoulder depicts a color printed U.S AIR FORCE logo in great shape retaining its original colors.

The back depicts a beautifully painted “blood chit” which makes it unique!

As a side note, this jacket has been published on the “AMERICAN FLIGHT JACKETS” book from Maguire & Conway, where there is also more info about the pilot. This is probably one of my favorite jackets in my collection and with it being a 42, it fits like a glove.

Say no more and enjoy the pics. Stay safe!

Regards,
Jorge
01EA16BE-D051-442D-9C8A-CE943B67DEDF.jpeg
16E9669F-5920-4784-BF2E-ADF7F3C4FC90.jpeg
40FDAC80-E8AD-47B2-8479-391BC3A66F4C.jpeg