• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean war a2 jackets

ausreenactor

Here's an interesting one, from the Lost world's collection. Issued in 1946. Used in Korea. It has no collar snaps, no hang loop and has a khaki cotton lining, doesn't seem to have a contract label either. It seems strange that it was an issued piece of kit. View attachment 36999

I am always drawn to the patches first? Interesting name plate too. Will grab the glasses but it looks likes an aircrew wing with a rounded top.

P-47 thunderbolt

P-47 thunderbolt

Here is a very old thread that I came across, unfortunately the gentleman hasn't been active on the forum for some time but I gather he was issued an A2 jacket in 1951. The images are old photobucket ones that I can't see but he was also issued a USAAF A-11 flying helmet from ww2

P-47 thunderbolt

I found an image of the gentleman's A2 once it had been restored.
MyA-2Jacket.jpg

I was not quite 19 when I was issued mine in June 1951 with the 6147th Tac Con Gp. Of course it was recycled from WWII, as was much of our gear

P-47 thunderbolt

Scoring an A-2 jacket for flight personnel in korea was a matter of luck. Since they were no longer in production, it all depended on what was kicking around in supply. I would have preferred one size larger, it was a bit snug, but it was the only one available at the time so I grabbed it.

ausreenactor

My dad recalled before shipping out for Korea, they had access to a California supply depot with racks of surplus WWII flight kit including plenty of A-2's. Because he knew they were headed someplace cold, he picked a D-1 and B-1 trousers.

Smart man. Dress for where you are going!
Have you posted a thread devoted to your father's service? I have seen many references and pics.... Might data dive....

P-47 thunderbolt

My dad recalled before shipping out for Korea, they had access to a California supply depot with racks of surplus WWII flight kit including plenty of A-2's. Because he knew they were headed someplace cold, he picked a D-1 and B-1 trousers.
Ah so once they got their posting were they able to choose whatever kit they wanted from the ww2 surplus ?

MikeyB-17

Whoa, wouldn’t it be great if that was still there?

Peter T

Hi, nice jackets thanks, has someone photos of usn G1 jacket from Korea era? Original jacket photos from some museum? Thanks

P-47 thunderbolt

The G1 was of course a standard piece of kit for naval aviators where as the A2 was no longer produced under government contract and so it's use after ww2 was not the norm. Private purchase jackets from this era seem commonplace. I know airmen used private purchase jackets on missions, I wonder if it was allowed by commanders or simply went unnoticed?
images.jpeg

Flightengineer

It seems to me like in on any war in this case it was more important that pilots make they combat missions, they were unlikely to be scolded for a back art on their jackets, cause nose art also was in Korea as in WW2 Like private jackets too.

P-47 thunderbolt

Yeah the theatre of operations is a different environment to the baracks in the US, can't imagine they'd get scolded for wearing a non issue A2 when they could potentially get killed on the next mission.

Ed Rooney

To me, this is the equivalent of a modern military pilot buying a CWU from Avirex or G&B. No, they are not issue, but they are nomex and look enough like the real thing. It wouldn't be a big deal.