• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Korean war a2 jackets

P-47 thunderbolt

Hi guys, recently I've been looking at A2 jackets worn post ww2. I'm particularly interested in those worn in Korea and am keen to see some pictures, I know many would be ww2 vets, redyes or private purchase jackets. I quite like the contrast of ww2 leather jackets in the early jet age,any with ww2 history, markings, patches and paintings with stories to tell. Please share any photos or jackets you have.
tumblr_mxwwfndPB21t5hadvo1_1280.jpg

B-Man2

Most of the commercially made private purchase jackets were pretty well made, if you picked up one made in the US back in those days. They were patterned after the A2 and in some cases were actually made with a few upgrades, like fleece linings or flannel linings which made them warmer than the WWII A2’s

Micawber

Hi guys, recently I've been looking at A2 jackets worn post ww2. I'm particularly interested in those worn in Korea and am keen to see some pictures, I know many would be ww2 vets, redyes or private purchase jackets. I quite like the contrast of ww2 leather jackets in the early jet age,any with ww2 history, markings, patches and paintings with stories to tell. Please share any photos or jackets you have.View attachment 36548

Guy on the left in the private purchase looks to have been a WW2 veteran who served in the 8th AFF with the 381st BG H at Ridgewell, Essex. B-17 triangle L on the tail.

P-47 thunderbolt

Guy on the left in the private purchase looks to have been a WW2 veteran who served in the 8th AFF with the 381st BG H at Ridgewell, Essex. B-17 triangle L on the tail.
Awesome, I was going to ask if anyone had any info on the guy or the groups he was part of. Be fantastic if there were any other images of him

Smithy

I've got a few but here's one to get things started, here's Jabby at Suwon on May 20 1951 just after landing when he had become the first jet versus jet ace in history. So a little known fact, this auspicious first was achieved in a good old A-2 ;-)

Sorry for the wonky scan but I scanned this years ago quickly for another thread here.

full

P-47 thunderbolt

Similar to a jacket I have with a khaki lining, no collar snaps and no hang loop, also has sewn on collar hooks rater than rivited. However mine has exposed pocket snaps. I've always wondered the story behind this one, as it appears very military - hasty con
P1040877.JPG

B-Man2

Similar to a jacket I have with a khaki lining, no collar snaps and no hang loop, also has sewn on collar hooks rater than rivited. However mine has exposed pocket snaps. I've always wondered the story behind this one, as it appears very military - hasty conView attachment 37000
I would say that it’s definitely a post WWII
commercially made A2 . Are there any other tags in the pocket or lining ? What name is on the zipper pull?

B-Man2

Here's an interesting one, from the Lost world's collection. Issued in 1946. Used in Korea. It has no collar snaps, no hang loop and has a khaki cotton lining, doesn't seem to have a contract label either. It seems strange that it was an issued piece of kit. View attachment 36999
Seriously doubt that this was an issued A2.
no documentation of any A2’s made in 1946 and prior without collar snaps . Not to say that it couldn’t happen, but by this time most of the A2 stocks had been depleted and guys were buying them commercially and in the PXs. For their personal use. Probably why there’s no label inside as well.