• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KOREAN WAR A. PRITZKER & SONS / G-1 (VMF -214 / VMF 312)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I started my interest in flight jackets around 2007 (gotta blame Top Gun for it) by that time I was 19 and broke (I still am lol) :D so my first jacket was a Ralph Edwards G-1 that I found by coincidence in South America where I grew up (I have no idea how it got there to be honest).... anyway since then I have a great appreciation for the G-1 model which is one of my favorite pieces to collect.

This example here is a G-1 made by A. PRITZKER AND SONS, INC, it belonged to a USMC F-4U Corsair pilot who flew in VMF-214 and VMF-312 during Korean War. He was awarded with Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and as far as I read he had a plane lost by engine failure near Yanggu (uninjured and rescued).

This jacket is in great condition considering it’s almost 70 years old. Leather has developed that “been there, done that” look and the mouton fur collar has turned a rusty-golden tone.
Zipper working perfectly and knits were replaced with the correct tone.
On the front has VMF-214 and VMF-312 patches on right and left chest respectively. On the upper left chest is a leather name tag, printed “R.A. GRANINGER”.
Left shoulder depicts a VERY RARE Korean theater made 1st marine division "finger" patch.

Here are some pictures for your entertainment... wishing all of you a great weekend!!!

Jorge

2B6680ED-8CA2-46DD-A7E1-272B2CE78036.jpeg

86CBE4BD-FC12-4A01-868C-AE106B3938E2.jpeg

E2FA7563-0643-4DE2-ABC0-205A6CC86D99.jpeg

836953A9-2D4F-4B3E-B6B0-3FC54803BDA7.jpeg

C17FCF32-8E89-427E-82A0-8197057EDA4E.jpeg

Last edited:

P2725TMB

Lovely jacket with amazing provenance. This spec by Pritz is quite scarce too. I have one that I use as a bit of a 'knock around', as its the most comfortable of all the G-1s I've owned, being quite wide, but also short in body. Mine has multiple vacant stitch tracks where patches were long ago removed - if only it could talk! I will post some pics when I have better light to take them...

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Lovely jacket with amazing provenance. This spec by Pritz is quite scarce too. I have one that I use as a bit of a 'knock around', as its the most comfortable of all the G-1s I've owned, being quite wide, but also short in body. Mine has multiple vacant stitch tracks where patches were long ago removed - if only it could talk! I will post some pics when I have better light to take them...
I totally agree with you @P2725TMB, this one is marked as a 40, but feels very comfy and I normally wear 42, you never know with these jackets, I guess the only way is to try them on. Looking forward to see yours!!!

P2725TMB

Here's mine. As with yours its labelled 40 but more like a 42. I've had it for many years and can't now recall details, but looks like I had new cuffs put on and a replacement zip. The zip is I think an Eastman repro Talon but with gen WW2 Talon puller put on. Fur and waistband are original, but I had the top of the lining repaired.

It's got lovely leather with a good shine - a bit less now as I put Pecards on last night! From the very old vacated stitch holes its had two name tags, a large circular patch on right chest (as worn) with tabs at top and bottom and two patches on left arm, a diamond shape and curved patch. Wish I knew what they were!

The leather is the usual dark seal and it still has remains of white USN in the older 55J14 Pritz style and the fur is very faded. Indeed I've tried to show the colour change in the pics, from very dark red brown to teddy bear!

Members online

Latest posts