• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knives to carry with your flight jacket

Rutger

Some issued (to me), some fun...
But no more carrying any with me, except if a BBQ or tracking in the montains..
My Kappmesser Fall/Gravity knife was earned with my para jump wings during a NATO war game in Jan. 1983... Co-joining all NATO troops operation in Schongau/Germany.
Our (Ex)Bundeswehr and Ex NATO Para members will know..
All others, happy to answer questions.
What does the Fall/gravity stand for? I could make the guess that gravity makes it work, but that would be odd.

Pilot

What does the Fall/gravity stand for? I could make the guess that gravity makes it work, but that would be odd.
Precisely...the blade falls in and out by gravity...important if you have one one hand you can use...whilst the other is busy or injured...
In German it does not say...Fallmesser#gravity knive...it says Kappmesser#catch knife...to catch/cut the ropes or strings from your parachute when tangled in ...Maybe helpfull if you hang in a tree or below the water surface in a lake pe.

B-Man2

Fallschirmjager / German Paratrooper
Gravity - the knife works by tipping it upside down and letting gravity make the blade slide out of the handle when the release is pushed or you can push the release and sling the blade out by snapping your wrist.

Pilot

Better than my answer...except sometime you cannot snap your wrist and rely on gravity only...in the water pe...:):):)by experience...:):):)

B-Man2

Sorry Bryce
I was writing the response and when I posted it, I saw that you had already answered. Didn’t mean to step on your post.

Stony

There are quite a few U.S. WWII knives that I’d love to own. The above pictured are included on that list.

The one I'm missing is the USMC pocket knife. I know where one is for sale, but they want way too much for it in it's condition which is less than good.

robrinay

I know you are right about 9/11 but I remember other stories before that and they may not have been so well spread.
I used one in the grocery store as a 16yo for opening boxes and Vess soda cases and occasionally spraying myself in the face with a ruptured can. Perhaps my use of them so much is why I tuned in to the other stories(I remember thinking, "Box cutters? Are they serious?!). At least in the heartland there appeared to be sort of a movement to single them out as a weapon favored by middle-class high school kids maybe in the late 80s-early 90s. By then a lot of people didn't even know what the were. I think it was a media thing - maybe something to stir up while the assault gun ban was on in the 90s? Anyone else remember any of this quite little scare? Then, you're right, along came 9/11 and the danger potential of the lowly box cutters was finally exposed!
I think box cutters was mentioned so much in 9/11 just as an AR-15 is now mentioned so much when used in a crime. Few can actually identify either but sure know that they are scared of them. It also has a ring of the underground with a sound like nunchucks or butterfly knife - you know "thinks you can't take to school". In reality a box cutter is about as innocuous as a knife could be - only about 1/2" of exposed blade and only if held at a perfect angle, no thrust capability, and a blade very easily broken. It evolved into the utility knife. Now those I've hurt myself with!

Dave
I did a quick bit of research and apparently box cutters were only reported as being used on one of the 9/11 planes with knives reported on all of them along with mace spray. I also suspect they meant utility knives which are sometimes called box cutters. What really surprised me was that at that time, knives shorter than 4” were allowed on planes by some airlines. Lastly and most shockingly, they found knives and utility knives either dumped or hidden prior to flight on a number of other planes which were ordered grounded once the drama began!

Pilot

98A28172-2AC7-4CF6-A029-BBE7C01178F4.jpeg
Just found this one here in Seoul on a flee market ...not sure its a real USAF knife...maybe a lookalike commercial version...

Stony

There is a nice USMC issued one during WW2 on Greasebay right now...arround 150 Euro...in nice condition.

Thanks for the heads up, but that's more money than the one I'm passing up. I'll be patient for now as one will turn up for the price I'm willing to pay.

Technonut2112

My State passed a law awhile back allowing anyone who can legally own a handgun to carry it concealed without any type of permit. So since then, considering the neighborhood I walk, I carry both a side-opening switchblade, and handgun when I go out-n-about..

Pilot

My State passed a law awhile back allowing anyone who can legally own a handgun to carry it concealed without any type of permit. So since then, considering the neighborhood I walk, I carry both a side-opening switchblade, and handgun when I go out-n-about..
Love the handgun part...
Happy to live in NC a few months a year...

Technonut2112

Love the handgun part...
Happy to live in NC a few months a year...

Just like American Express.... "Don't leave home without it"... ;) It's only a small 'belly gun' which slips nicely into a flight jacket, or pants pocket (.22 Magnum 5-shot stainless steel mini-revolver with oversize grips), but I am deadly accurate with it at 10 yards, which is good enough for most 'real-world' needs in an urban environment. I also use ammo which has been tested to provide the FBI penetration requirement of 12 inches in ballistic gel.... :eek:;)

Pilot

Wow...hope it will help and save if needed.
I am on the more conservative end...but at least I am 100% confident about the results even at 100 yards...if challenged.
Important note...all legal and registered...

Technonut2112

Wow...hope it will help and save if needed.
I am on the more conservative end...but at least I am 100% confident about the results even at 100 yards...if challenged.
Important note...all legal and registered...

I have a 9mm Browning HP 13 shot, but it's way too large for me to lug around town. The 'small-fry' can be quite deadly, hence the .22 being the preferred weapon of some hitmen.. Hell, just the amount of muzzle-flash and BOOM from a .22 Magnum out of such a short barrel would be enough for most to go running. I haven't yet met ANYONE who wants to be shot by ANYTHING..

EDIT: Real-world situations show that most urban gunfights take place between 7-10 yards, and is over within a matter of seconds..not minutes..I would rather have the 'small fry' than a knife alone, throwing rocks, or nothing at all.. ;)

Sorry for the OT... But I did mention carrying a side-opening switchblade also..;) I'll leave this to knife-only discussion now.. :)

Last edited: