• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knits... a difference in patterns, etc?

Doug C

So I'm pretty much clueless on the subject of knits, I know I liked the rougher feeling knits that were on my Lost World jacket as opposed to some of the other softer knits from other makers. So, I can only assume that some knits are (perhaps) made from merino wool [soft] while others are made from worsted wool [coarser texture] - could that be true? Ok, that ties into the other observation that I've recently made on the subject, I've noticed that the softer knits tend to have an obvious "ribbed" pattern while the courser/rougher knits don't...those actually look like they have a very small squared pattern if you look closely. I think alot of folks don't even realise these differences or maybe I'm imagining these differences?? I think the courser/rougher, square patterned knits tend to be seen mostly on the more expensive jackets and I for one prefer them. Is there a particular retailer of the course knits (I know, I've asked general knit questions before but I can't find the threads). Any comments or oppinions?

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
So, I can only assume that some knits are (perhaps) made from merino wool [soft] while others are made from worsted wool [coarser texture] - could that be true? or oppinions?

I doubt that the knits are made from merino, or worsted wool ... worsted is a product of combing wool, and is not coarse.

Cheaper knits that stretch, and/or pill, are more likely to be synthetic, or a blend.

Doug C

the knits I'm talking about are described as 100% wool, not synthetic, but I may be off on the merino and worsted thing. There is definately a difference in feel between knits though really soft vs coarser.

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
There is definately a difference in feel between knits though really soft vs coarser.

The knits on my RM, and Buzz jackets are similar ... they'd be the coarser ones.

My Alphas (issued L-2's, and a Replica) are perhaps a little finer, and thinner, but not by much.

The only others I have experienced were on the occasional modern A-2, Cooper, and the like. These were quite different ... more like socks.

Gibson & Barnes in 100% wool, is the usual forum recommendation for replacements.

Doug C

The knits on my RM, and Buzz jackets are similar ... they'd be the coarser ones.
Right, I imagine they are like the knits on the Lost Worlds jacket I had..

Gibson & Barnes in 100% wool, is the usual forum recommendation for replacements.
Right, I've heard them recommended several time around here, and have had jackets with their knits - BUT while theirs are very good..they are not the thicker,courser ones that I prefer. I just wish there were more information somewhere on the real differences and a good retailer of the coarser ones. I suppose they are part of what makes the upper end jackets just that little bit better I guess.

Doug C

Doug C

deeb7 wrote:
I doubt that the knits are made from merino, or worsted wool ... worsted is a product of combing wool, and is not coarse.

Flight Suits, regarding the knits used on their Historical Goatskin A2 jacket:
The knit cuffs and waistband are made from pure, grade 64, worsted wool so they are comfortable and will retain their elasticity.

So it looks like the worsted wool is correct, but know I'm wondering if there are different grades (besides 64) that could be precurred somewhere. Can anyone comment on the knits on their G&B historical?

Real McCoys says:
Cuffs and waistband: 100% virgin wool

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
So it looks like the worsted wool is correct, but know I'm wondering if there are different grades (besides 64) ......

Oh okay, that worsted wool ....

Worsted weight knitting wool is a misnomer as the term worsted in this case refers only to the density of the yarn. It has become common for woolen knitting yarns to be inaccurately described as such.

wisegeek.com

Doug C

thanks David, you know it's funny I just noticed that Lost Worlds describes the knits on (one of) their A-1 jacket as "100% Merino Wool", funny because that's the jacket I had and thought the knits were coarser :?
I'd always thought of merino as a very soft wool, but that wasn't the case with my Lost Worlds, but then it was a fairly old one too.

Doug C