• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Knit Maintainence

kiltie

I looked around the care section and didn't see anything addressing this. I'm getting a thing on my Good Wear A-2 that's kinda the opposite of "tunneling". The wrist knit mushrooms on the right side, nearly doubling back on the outside of the sleeve.
What I'm considering is dampening the knit, then blow drying in an attempt to get some tension in it.
Has anyone tried this or have another suggestion?
Thanks in advance -

Jaguar46

Here is what I have done to reform the sleeve knit. Find a small plastic bottle, I used an empty pill bottle. An aspirin or small tylenol bottle will work. It should be the diameter that you want to form the knit around. I wet the knit. Then I insert the bottle inside the knit, and use a strip of cloth or better still, a strip of elastic type bandage wrap, and wrap it around the sleeve knit with the plastic bottle inside, formed to the diameter of the bottle. Then let it dry that way. You can replace the wrap every 12 hours or so to assist in and accelerate the drying procedure. When it is dry the knit will be smaller. The problem is the knit has been weakened, and will reform back to the state is was before.

My Eastman knits were all stretched out like this, the weakest knits on earth. I ended up replacing the knit.

kiltie

Thanks -

I'll try this first on an old Banana Republic A-2 style that I have. It sounds less invasive than applying heat and therefore safer and more appealing.