• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kanaljacke for sale on ebay....Wow...

Dany McDonald

Hi,

Thought this would interest some guys here. Wish my pockets were very deep as this would be nice in the collection. Look at that composite zipper, amazing ... and in good condition too!
If anyone here buys this rare bird, plz share!

Enjoy!

Dany

MikeyB-17

Well somebody bought it, at over a grand. It’s certainly interesting, although personally I wouldn’t wear anything like it. I see the Germans weren’t immune to ropey stitching! The zip is fascinating, I had a ‘D-1’ years ago with Riri zips not dissimilar to that, albeit in metal, but the design, especially the puller and the plastic sheath around the bottom of the male end, were pretty much the same. I have to say I approve of that idea, how many zips do we see that are knackered because the male side has worn out?
Also, how did a jacket like that end up in Thailand?

Pilot

If its the one I mean, he is French ( works as a teacher in Thailand) and buys a lot and sell a lot on crapbay.
The jacket is legit Luftwaffe WW2, but surely only so called “ Channel jacket”.
By the time these jackets were issued to Luftwaffe pilots, the LW was not able to fly over the Channel anymore, but only fighting over the continent..( with a few exceptions).
Channel jackets “Kanaljacken” were blue or white unlined cotton jackets...designed to help the wearer to survive a ditching in the “ Kanal” Channel...and not getting soaked heavy and drowning the ditching surviving pilot.
The sold jacket is a late war jacket ( no more Channel excursions) and made with a lot of Ersatz-Material but fully legit WW2.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

The zip and what seems a hurried or even crude assembly fits with the end of war panic raging in Germany 45. Wish I could have bought this jacket it's historically interesting in many ways.

Blackbonevintage has one of the best vintage outfit on ebay, from Denison smock to early Belstaff and some rare 50's military and civilian...

Dany

bazelot

Are you guys certain the zipper is original? They had plastic zippers back then in Germany?

Dany McDonald

I too was not sure as the stitch is so uneven.

Here's another example with composite zip.

ee3d2aba5938a874a27490a12cc1bd4d.jpg

MikeyB-17

Way back in the mists of time, I recall Aero doing some sort of German WWII jacket (don’t know if it actually went into production) which I believe they called a Kanal jacket or similar. Nothing like this, I seem to recall it being some sort of lightweight, almost nylon-like material, but it did have a white plastic zip.

CBI

a German letter jacket co currently makes a leather and cloth repro - forget their name????

jack31916

In Germany there are different vendors selling reproduction Kanaljacke. Check Noble House, Ferromil and Kpemig for example.

White plastic (RiRi)
zipps were used during late war and can also be found in other clothing and equipment.

Pilot

In Germany, metal of any sort was rare and precious after 1943...and if available used for others than “ clothing”.

Last edited:

fighterjock

In Germany, metal of any sort was rare and precious after 1943...and if available used for others than “ clothing”.
Kind of like, accidental success...……………………..plus you gotta love that bright white plastic with the Luftwaffe Blue ...………..those guys were stylish to say the least!! Makes me wonder why the US Air Force adopted the blue uniforms after the war.

Nik

Also, how did a jacket like that end up in Thailand?

Strangely enough, a lot of 30s-40s/WWII German leather jackets ended up in Thailand, to the extent that several vintage collectors in London told me that at this point in time when sources elsewhere are begining to dry up, Thailand is a good place to find these jackets. I'm not referring to this type of jacket in particular, though. Just German leather jackets of that era.
Thailand had a somewhat complicated political history during WWII. There appear to be some connections to Germany but I haven't found much information on that.
Lufthansa had an air route to Bangkok established in 1939. Nothing conclusive, though.
Whatever the reasons, the jackets are there.

Last edited:

B-Man2

The one on EBay went for $1300 US.
Don’t know much about these Kanal jackets, is that about what they sell for?