• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just Scored Another Fat-Boy M-51...

Atticus

...problem is that its got original patches including 2nd Lt. bars and I'm pretty dead set against wearing rank I didn't earn. The old girl wasn't cheap...at least not compared to the deals I got on my other two M-51s...but I just couldn't live without her. :cool:

Bn8qQBGkKGrHqMH-C8EtsBYU7FBLllbSp6Q.jpg

I've actually been on a field jacket buying binge lately. I also picked up a mid-eighties woodland camo M-65 the other day.

AF

Weasel_Loader

Way to go Geoff. I think the stitch marks on a field jacket give it great "patina". :lol:

Can't go wrong with the old field jackets. The first thing issued to me in the AF was a field jacket and I still have it. There is no hope of fitting in that thing, but I'm still holding on to it. ;)

ties70

Weasel_Loader said:
....There is no hope of fitting in that thing, but I'm still holding on to it. ;)

I still have the navy blue flight suit that I was issued....in 1990. There are 20 years and 60 lbs between then and today :D

Ties

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
Great score, Geoff. I love seeing M-51s in use during the Vietnam era. Excellent!
From the auction photos, it appears to be an early example. It has printed-on nomenclature as opposed to a spec tag. But I'm pretty sure it saw service during the Vietnam era...and the seller represented it as such.

I still don't know what to do about the patches. There was a time that I would have just cut them off and thought nothing more about it. But after the many discussions we've had on VLJ, I'm now more inclined to accept the "history of the jacket" argument and leave them on.

Truthfully, I'm in a bit of dilemma. I have been trying to find a well-worn M-51 to "decorate" using the stuff that was on the M-51 that I wore in high school and college. In the process of cleaning out my parents' home, I've found my "peace" button, my "McGovern in '72" button, my "War Is Not Healthy..." button and my Student Target (Kent State) patch...all of which were on my old M-51 before it finally fell to shreds. The M-51 that I bought a couple of months ago is too cherry to decorate and, while my other one is a beater, it's the wrong color. It’s an aggressor green example that was issued in 1968 for the "enemy" to wear during training exercises.

So the search continues...

AF

watchmanjimg

Geoff:

Your dilemma is certainly a valid one, and what I'm about to say is merely my own opinion and will likely not be shared by everyone. Although I've typically avoided removing original insignia from garments in my collection, I've begun to relax this policy in certain situations. Vietnam-era Army uniforms with patches (as opposed to flight jackets) are still relatively common, so unless there's something particularly unique about the insignia or provenance of the garment I'd say there's a solid argument for removal of the patches. As it is you've had a hell of a time finding decent M-51s in your size, so why not make it easy on yourself and do what you like with the jacket?

The aforesaid notwithstanding, it's hard to tell precisely what's on there from your small photo. Is that a later merrowed-edge 1st Cav patch? If so I'd probably remove it, but a twill subdued example would likely hail from earlier in the division's Vietnam service. I'd be less inclined to pull one of those off if it were my jacket.

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
As it is you've had a hell of a time finding decent M-51s in your size, so why not make it easy on yourself and do what you like with the jacket?
Ain't that the dang truth! Since I've been looking on e-bay, I've seen a total of four decent XL Reg M-51s and I now own three of those four. And, truthfully, Vietnam-era M-65s in XL Reg aren't too much more plentiful.

I'm probably going to keep the "US Army" patch and the Horse Blanket. I'll probably very carefully remove and save the name tape and the butterbars. I might pin my old buttons on the collar and/or pocket flap...but I'll probably forego using the "Student Target" patch even though that patch is going on forty years old and is as vintage as many of the jackets shown on our forum.

Hell, I know I'm pissin' up a rope, anyhow. I really doubt that this jacket will give me the same look I had in 1970, regardless of what patches I cut off of it or what buttons I pin to it. No M-51 on earth can cover my lack of hair and my abundance of pounds so as to make me look like the hippy-dippy I was back then. :cry:

AF

Tim P

I say leave the rank on. The jacket is a piece and it is passing through your hands. I even add missing insignia where it is obvious what was there. No-one will believe that an obsolete jacket with rank means you.
valour awards... thats a different matter, anything else, don't sweat it. ;)