• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just found this jacket maker...

colekwok

I saw that on the facebook as well, somehow. Looks like they are now reproducing the Flite NASA jacket, to a pretty good accuracy. But it is definitely not cheap.

ButteMT61

I was basing "affordable" on the price DD was offering his jackets. No clue who might make a better replica as I have not seen either, but they look nice as did DD's prototypes...

Geeboo

IMO, it is above average & far from being "museum quality". I bet the maker himself has not done enough research to support what he said - but honestly, quite a nice jkt overall - better than most already.
It is doggy in saying "(Photos of production samples and original NASA flight jacket)"- see my photo.
It still has some places incorrect. I am not in a position to hint a commercial seller of their shortcomings But I cannot help myself in voicing out this
IMO, DD's work is "LIKE" Goodwear std, this one is like 5 star leather jacket - a bit better than 5 star.
IMO, the standard of the repro depends ALL on the knowledge of the maker, from this perspective, this maker is at least 2 pars below DD.
par1 - details catching
par2 - material understanding
par3 - craftsmanship. DD sew himself ?
par4 - proportioning - this seller is good . 70% + but is still not DD's level.
NASA.jpg

Last edited:

colekwok

Oh, thank you big brother Geeboo! Well, I should take some time to 'review' DD's NASA jacket instead.

Southoftheborder

The Luna Replica looks a lot different to the reference jacket on the right. BTW a replica properly defined is something made by the original artist, person or company, and a reproduction by someone else copying it

Pilot

The Luna Replica looks a lot different to the reference jacket on the right. BTW a replica properly defined is something made by the original artist, person or company, and a reproduction by someone else copying it
Mine was surely no Luna replica...unlike Luna, it had Talon zips, DOT snappers, orange real silk liner, original Flite label, different size label etc...surely not Luna and not DD.

Last edited:

Pilot

Yup... sold it... nobody here wanted it during my posting..Can ask the buyer if he wants to sell...PM welcome... with a sincere budget since I need to ask if he would like to sell for..??? ...
Sold it for 800 Euro ..,BTW.. ..so ...
...maybe if a passionate irresistible offer comes up ( may I express my doubts if from here ), the happy new owner may consider... Happy to be proven mistaken...

Last edited:

ButteMT61

Since nobody that I know is making these now, there's not much choice out there. I think that qualifying the jackets as a whole based on the pic above is a bit unfair, but maybe you guys know a lot more about these jackets than I do. Seems they have a lot of folks wearing them or at least nominally supporting their efforts based on the instagram page. Also, for the price, made in the USA is reasonable, unless someone can point out the flaws in the price range as unreasonable.

Geeboo

#14, in comparison, bilt is much worser than this Luna (it used a ball chain pull in the sleeve's zip! Proportion is dreadful). If I do not make one myself which I once had planned to, I might consider buying a Luna, as said, it is not bad overall.

colekwok

http://www.simmonsbilt.com/vintageclassics/nasa-jacket.html

Don't know if it's much more accurate. But whatever people think about them their jackets are well made.

I tried to contact them a few years ago about the jacket but they never came back to me. The NASA jackets (both blue and orange) worn by Adam Savage were made by them.

I always try to justify the purchase of DD's NASA jacket, seems like it was definitely a correct decision all alone.

Southoftheborder

I've had a couple of jackets made by them and bought off the sales page. Debs is usually pretty quick to get back to me. I think they have a couple on the outlet page now. This Savage bloke is on their site too. Though I must say I don't know him from a bar of soap.