• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUST ARRIVED-AWESOME MONARCH A2 SIZE 44!

atkins

Gents,

What makes the leather seem so soft? is that a proof of chrome tanned ?

Grant, before you 'recondition the jacket, did it already soft?

Andrew, great jacket ...as usual. And can't wait for photos of it being worn...as usual :D

Atkins

Chandler

atkins said:
is that a proof of chrome tanned ?

If it had been chrome tanned you wouldn't see all that lightness showing from behind the worn finish. Chrome tanning turns the base a dark color.

As to it being a masterful faux antiquing on an ELC, I think the Lil' Red Rooster would be quick to point out the tabs showing behind the collar snaps... ;)

Chandler

John Lever

Interesting thing about chrome tanning. It's highly polluting. Some superb leathers are now tanned using titanium as the main chemical. I have some boots that were made from leather produced like this and the leather is excellent.

Roughwear

The Monarch is veg tanned and aniline dyed and the leather has a similar appearance/feel to my RW 1401p and original Cooper.

greyhound52

Great looking jacket. You are right about them fitting small. My size 46 fits me like some of my original 44s in other maker jackets. Here are pictures of mine enjoy.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Tim P

I think Eastman have done a good job in capturing the Monarch style quite well based on these pics.

A

Anonymous

HI Andrew very nice jacket ,my first jacket was a monarch that belonged to a major .No longer have it Mick Prodjer sold it on for me .I did not know at the time it was a rare contract but it was sold because it did not fit me anymore .Yours is much nicer ;) .

All the best Jeff

Roughwear

I have just got around to taking some more pics of the Monarch. The Monarch A2 has several unique features including the blackened Talon Zip, which is very similar to the zips used by this maker on some of its naval flying jackets.
038-4.jpg

039-3.jpg

042-3.jpg

043-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

045.jpg

047.jpg

048-2.jpg

049-1.jpg

050-2.jpg

051-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

054-1.jpg

fishmeok

I'm sure JC can confirm or deny this, but it looks to me like the Monarch was constructed a little differently- the stitching on the side body topstitch seam does not continue up onto the sleeve, it folds down under the seam. Looks like the body seam was completed first, then the completed sleeve sewn on (like an M-422A/G-1).

Andrew, what are the measurements, including armhole, epaulet, and distance between the shoulder blades? looks great on you BTW, perfect fit, amazing jacket.
Cheers
Mark

Wow, that's a nice one. IF I could find an original 48 or 50 or so that would fit me comfortably and looked that good, I'd probably break down and buy an original.

Super nice looking jacket, Andrew.

Chandler

fishmeok said:
the stitching on the side body topstitch seam does not continue up onto the sleeve, it folds down under the seam.

That's the set-in sleeve, as on the Star.

From Acme Depot:
Another construction variation found among some makers, including Doniger, Monarch, Spiewak, Star, and the maker of the 23383 contract, is a rotated inset sleeve. While in most cases, one of the sleeve seams is aligned with, and appears to be a continuation of, the body side seam, these others have the sleeve seam rotated forward of the body side seam by an inch or two.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2ima ... h_side.jpg

Chandler

airfrogusmc

Clyde from Carolina said:
Wow, that's a nice one. IF I could find an original 48 or 50 or so that would fit me comfortably and looked that good, I'd probably break down and buy an original.

Super nice looking jacket, Andrew.

My guess, if you could find one in decent shape, would fetch 3-5K...

johnwayne

Hey Andrew
What a corker - youve done it again!! As you know I prefer the pointed collars A2s but that is really, really nice! How many is that you now have with your Eastman Cable the weekend?

Wayne

Roughwear

johnwayne said:
Hey Andrew
What a corker - youve done it again!! As you know I prefer the pointed collars A2s but that is really, really nice! How many is that you now have with your Eastman Cable the weekend?

Wayne

Wayne I currently own 14 original A2s and three ELC repros-the Werber, RW 1401p and the Cable.