• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeans to wear with your flight jackets ...

M. from Berlin

LVC was in the 90s the best option, with japan denim, but not today, the worst time denim comes from Turkey, now they produce the denim stuff in the US!

Bombing IP

I am moving away from Levi's bought them since I was 16 ,they have so many types of jeans cuts shapes but none of them are what they used to be . And since the Gun support thing I will not buy them ever again . In short they do a lot of things but none of them right ,and as said Levi Japan are far superior in every way and so many other companies do a better job .

BIP

MikeyB-17

What, like this?
ACA2BD0E-D08F-4FE7-8B2F-30314CCDC348.jpeg

blackrat2

Hi

A wealth of knowledge on LVC here so will see if anyone can help
What is the story with pink painted acurate on the 1944 copy, is there a specific date Levi’s did this, any reason for it and is it even a accurate copy of any that were made this way originally

33-1729

Hi

A wealth of knowledge on LVC here so will see if anyone can help
What is the story with pink painted acurate on the 1944 copy, is there a specific date Levi’s did this, any reason for it and is it even a accurate copy of any that were made this way originally

With the US entering WWII Levi Strauss & Co. downgraded many details and created what is commonly known as the “war model”, though an “S” was added to the official name for “simplified” (S501 XX). Rivets on the watch pocket and arcuate stitching were removed, remaining rivets were made of steel instead of copper, etc. The iconic arcuate was painted-on at that time.

stanier

With the US entering WWII Levi Strauss & Co. downgraded many details and created what is commonly known as the “war model”, though an “S” was added to the official name for “simplified” (S501 XX). Rivets on the watch pocket and arcuate stitching were removed, remaining rivets were made of steel instead of copper, etc. The iconic arcuate was painted-on at that time.

I took the question to be why the actuate is pink, as opposed to yellow or golden rather than painted on. I do recall reading somewhere that the pink was a mistake and done in a specific year. I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve got lodged in my brain from somewhere as I say.

blackrat2

Hey Stanier yes sorry that is what I am asking
I have couple pairs or gold/tobacco but have stumbled on pink ones I just wondered if it was a mistake, genuine copy of originals seen or what the story is

Grant

With the declaration of war the US government told clothing manufacturers they had to remove a certain amount of metal, fabric and thread to conserve raw materials for the war effort. Levi Strauss & Co did what they could to help. Off came the watch pocket rivets, the crotch rivet and the cinch back with two rivets (which eliminated fabric and metal). Metal buttons became the standard laurel wreath and donut buttons although some wartime 501's used the branded button. The thinking is delivery of parts was hit or miss during the war, so they had to use what was on hand. That also explains the variety of materials used for the pocket bags: from US Army HBT to a variety of cotton shirt material. There was one rationing rule that Levi's had a hard time adhering to: the order to remove the arcuate stitching, because it was considered "false stitching". That's when they came up with the idea to paint the arcuate using paint that would eventually wash away. Never seen a photo or read about of a dead stock pair with pink paint, but maybe Levi's has a pair in their archives? After all there was a war on!

blackrat2

Thanks Grant
Seen a couple of pairs for sale with green pockets so guessing 2009 or there abouts, one being with the pink arcuate
When did Levi drop green/striped pockets?
I have read somewhere that denim around 2009 is pretty good, assuming that’s compared to what’s on offer now
There are a number of pics on the usual forums but with so many pages am not sure if the subject has been talked about

dinomartino1

Bumping an old topic.

I’m struggling to find a pair of high rise (>13” front rise on a 32 waist) denim. Judging by available measurements, the best option seems to be the LVC 1944 501xx. I can’t find reliable measurements for the Lee Archives 101b 1954 Riders.

Any more suggestions?

Vintage Bronson WW2 Simplified Model Men's Jeans 14oz Selvage Denim Blue Rigid.
High waisted, though be aware they are very loose fit with wide bottoms cut somewhat like army and navy dungarees from ww2 on the thighs and leg but with not as high on the waist though still high and they have selvedge legs
Though if your tall the legs might be long enough for turn ups, I'm 5 6" and can get one turn up on them on the size 32w, 31 after washing [ you need to buy the next size up ] and that is wearing them very high.
After they shrank, the rise on mine are 12 1/2"

s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

Centaurus3200

Cool thread! Whenever I find a pair of fairly decent selvedge at the thrifts, I'll buy them. Now I have too many jeans!

Taylor Stitch democratic - white oak selvedge
Tellason blubaugh-white oak selvedge
Tellason Graham mellor - white oak selvedge
Left field Chelsea.
Naked and famous wierd guy
Wallace and Barnes
Unbranded
Gap kaihara selvedge
Some Levi's selvedge something or other - made in turkey
APC skinny selvedge

And some non selvedge 80s usa made 501s.

Grant

Well done Stanier, you'll be thrilled with them! It's cool how the yellow all cotton thread fades over time, just like original Lee's!

stanier

Thanks Grant, I’m really looking forward to these.

33-1739 Levi’s can keep those jeans, and that price i could have 3 pairs of Lees and some change!

And the Lee jeans will look like originals rather than some fantasy.