• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeans to wear with your flight jackets ...

Ken at Aero Leather

I also should mention an occasional irritation with LVC to watch for if you’re a grumpy authentic seeker like me. Usually it’s tweaking patterns, shallow pocket bags ( that get even more shallow when you wash them!) and “fake” type / incorrect attachment
buttons on the ‘44’s.

I’m hoping that the sad demise of Cone Mills just might mean they license someone else to make LVC who makes them properly with no back room bean counter burk or fashion waller meddling and daft seasonal “themes”.

Just 100% spot on Americana produced as close as possible to how it would have been in its day. Is it really so hard? Just don’t recruit any university marketing / finance / fashion bodies and they’d probably crack it!

Sorry rant over! I’ll put my phone back in my LVC ‘44’s I’m wearing at the mo, and cos the pocket bags are so shallow it pokes out at the top! :mad:

Stanier

Have you got inside info on LVC? I've highlighted the three reasons in your post that nail why Aero's relationship with LVC, as manufacturers for them, fell down in the end..

For the first few years there was none of that, amazing relationship with true enthusiasts then came the uni educated fashion wallahs
For example, this was one classic request ........putting two Type 3 pockets above two 501 back pockets on a Barnstormer ........."for the heritage"
We had to rule that one out, problem is with collaborations is when a style bombs, it's the manufacturer that always gets the blame. Motto, if you think is a wrong 'un, speak up, tell them and refuse the order, it'll be better in the long run
I think the twat who suggested may have been "connected" as it all went downhill after that.
I wouldn't have minded if he'd been old enough to shave, he's probably got a beard and a coffee shop now

Grant

Well said Stanier. It's sad LVC Japan is no longer in business. Their '44 501's make the US made '44's looks like a joke, and yes the pocket bags are made from deep cut sail cloth that doesn't blow out after a couple years.

stanier

Well said Stanier. It's sad LVC Japan is no longer in business. Their '44 501's make the US made '44's looks like a joke, and yes the pocket bags are made from deep cut sail cloth that doesn't blow out after a couple years.

Yep, LVC Japan was a completely different animal to the US/EU stuff. If they’d moved the one global LVC to the high LVC Japan standard that would have been great, but no, typical modern business ethics, let’s close the quality arm of LVC and reduce the standard for everyone, oh and put the prices up of course!

Too many businesses these days, IMHO of course fill themselves with university accountants, marketing, HR, IT etc (and I work in IT!) but god forbid they recruit anyone who actually knows anything about the businesses product, let alone have a passion for it and it’s customers! If it’s not been through a workshop (no Ken not your sort of workshop!) processed through a vlookup on a spreadsheet and presented on a PowerPoint, that some dopes agonised over for hours, it ain’t happening!

If the Japanese can make cool denim in Japan and buy the old looms etc there’s no reason Levi’s couldn't do the same in the US. If they wanted to they could corner the market. And all they need, before the knowledge disappears forever is speak to some of their former craftspeople.

Sorry, I am grumpy today aren’t I!

Ken at Aero Leather

Correct again
Levi customers for Aero/LVC jackets were very p*ssed off with the move to Turkey
Especially the second edition Rough'n'Ready and Thunderbird styles
Just google "Aero LVC leather Jacket" and see the comments on the forums, they must be aware of this
All to save a smallish percentage on the price

33-1729

The downfall of US denim quality created the Japanese denim industry. It's amazing that Levi's would be copied so much that Levi's brought back a Vintage Collection, but then changed it and wonder why the market has shrunk. Of course, how many successful restaurants have been purchased, the menu changed, and out of business shortly thereafter? Silly people.

I’m really glad to see the Japanese pay homage to the original. The jean with the red tag below has an arcuate that has been stitched so the bottom part can be removed to mimic the original Levi. When you’re being copied like that, you’ve already nailed it.

FC_1108.JPG

zoomer

You don't make your mark in RTW by keeping on with others' good ideas, but by bringing in new ones, even if they're failures.

Clothing is an industry, and it is dominated by fashionistas and marketers. Without constant, ceaseless change, they're out of a job.

Last edited:

zoomer

Anyone wear Flint & Tinder selvedges? Just picked up a pair cheap on eBay. Wide legs, but fashionably low rise (may have the bottoms hemmed and panel the crotch).

zoomer

If the Japanese can make cool denim in Japan and buy the old looms etc there’s no reason Levi’s couldn't do the same in the US. If they wanted to they could corner the market. And all they need, before the knowledge disappears forever is speak to some of their former craftspeople.

Sorry, I am grumpy today aren’t I!
No, you're correct IMO! Those marketing and MBA folks have rules, and those rules are how business lives today. And they have Dick's hatband to do with product quality. Quality is how guys with dirty nails got to the boardroom without a degree in marketing or an MBA, and that ain't happening again in our time.

stanier

Too short... :(

I’ve followed up with more research and although the usual sizing works for me I think I saw that if you contact them they can do longer sizes. I have the impression stock is limited and they make to order.

I read too ofpeople having 30’s denim made which isn’t listed in the site.

My wallet has run away!

Cocker

I’ve followed up with more research and although the usual sizing works for me I think I saw that if you contact them they can do longer sizes. I have the impression stock is limited and they make to order.

I read too ofpeople having 30’s denim made which isn’t listed in the site.

My wallet has run away!

Good to know, Stanier! Actually, I'm following them on Instagram. I love the work they are doing on their denim trousers and I also saw that someone from TFL got a pair. They look mighty great.

But come one, 300EUR... I'd get another 2 or 3 pairs of Lutece MFG for that price, and would be good to go for 10 years, minimum!

Teddy

Anyone else on the forum who wears jeans and after barely 6 months would get the crotch blowouts?

33-1729

Just a follow-up from post 23. I can highly recommend the Fullcount 1108. Great denim, 40's details and '66 fit. Only odd item is most jeans shrink ~2" then stretch back ~1", but this does the exact opposite so if you normally wear a 32" get a 31". I'll buy these again.

The very "slub" Pure Blue Japan jeans are a bit different. It does feel like wearing denim Triscuit. Based on the construction and large amount of dye these are really for denimheads looking for high contrast fades. I'd recommend trying before buying as they're not for everyone. At least I have one heavy weight pair of jeans for the winter.

Last edited:

Whatsit

Levi has turn political now and donating lots of money to fight the NRA and our 2nd Amendment so for me no more Levi ever.

Greg Gale

Well, they stand by what they believe in and use their power to act. Even if it means losing some customers. I find that choice quite respectable. You may not agree, but I'm sure many people like Levi's even more now. I know one for sure ;) I'm not going to share my opinion on the subject as it's forbidden to talk politics here. After all, we like each other for our shared passion in vintage flight jackets, not for our political beliefs. Then again, I always respected artists and companies who weren't afraid to lose fans and customers, and stood up for what they believed in.