• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeans to wear with your flight jackets ...

Carl

I have been looking for another pair of the DICKIES "Blue Steel" (?) Selevedge jeans if anyone knows of anywhere ???
C

Grant

Here's my 12 year old LVC Valencia St '1955 501's that just keep on goin. The belt was a flea market find I was told was WWII Finnish Army.

501.JPG

Ken at Aero Leather

5 years down the line and maybe 4 washes later my PIKE BROTHERS are just how i want them :)

My G*d!!!

Lydia washes her 1933s after every five or six wears, they look amazing, probably best after 4 or 5 washes I'd agree but that takes her more like 5 weeks not 5 years!!! Some pairs must have had 40 or 50 washes

Smithy

I've never had a pair of selvedge jeans in my life, and I'm still not convinced that I even need a pair. But for the completely uninitiated what's the best of these selvedge jobbies to have a go with? I also don't want to spend a small fortune on the things but what's a good selvedge pair of denim to cut your teeth on?

Ken at Aero Leather

what's the best of these selvedge jobbies to have a go with? I also don't want to spend a small fortune on the things but what's a good selvedge pair of denim to cut your teeth on?

It's hard to find used Lee Japan but look for a pair of used 1933 LVC or 1944 LVC on ebay, some say 1947 they are Aero best sellers apparently
There's nothing under £150 new even worth looking at and avoid all the "new kids on the block" like Iron Heart et al
It's Levi, Lee or nothing

And don't go over 14oz

Ken at Aero Leather

It's ok she's Welsh, they have a National obsession of cleanliness
The home of the Carnation Polished from doorstep.
Have you seen "Only To Can Play"? Peter Sellers. Great film but worth seeing just for the spot on the doorstep throw away scene!

Smithy

It's hard to find used Lee Japan but look for a pair of used 1933 LVC or 1944 LVC on ebay, some say 1947 they are Aero best sellers apparently
There's nothing under £150 new even worth looking at and avoid all the "new kids on the block" like Iron Heart et al
It's Levi, Lee or nothing

And don't go over 14oz

Thanks Ken for the advice. LVC or Lee it is, I'll have a shufti online and see what I can find.

33-1729

I've never had a pair of selvedge jeans in my life, and I'm still not convinced that I even need a pair. But for the completely uninitiated what's the best of these selvedge jobbies to have a go with? I also don't want to spend a small fortune on the things but what's a good selvedge pair of denim to cut your teeth on?

That's a really good question. The quintessential jean is probably the Levi's Vintage Clothing 1947 copy in the West and the Levi's Vintage Clothing 1966 copy in the East. In both cases it's all about the best body type fit and these work for most. But not all. There's a reason they're copied more than any other brand.

Out of the enjoyment of wearing something that fits so well are the unique-to-you wear patterns that can develop, e.g., whiskers, honeycombs, nep, roping (for chain-stitched hem), etc. The coloration difference is most pronounced when the jeans are rarely washed, but they also occur on well washed jeans (I wash mine all the time as I don't want to possibly offend and simply enjoy the fit the most, but then I don't enter denim fade contests either.)

The Japanese have taken these wear patterns to the Nth degree (I love Japan) and produce incredibly detailed adjustments to produce the most incredible fade patterns. The intricate details on Studio D'Artisan, Pure Blue Japan, Fullcount, etc. really need to be seen to be believed.

For the best fit, you need to try and talk to a knowledgeable staff to account for how they change over time to get and keep the best fit. Ken at Aero would be a great source. I haven't tried Lee Japan, but they are highly regarded too.

If you want to get into fades I'd recommend checking out Heddels for some more info to see what path you'd like to take before taking the plunge (slub, higher contrast fade, fit, etc.). I've had good luck with Okayama Denim.

Last edited:

Carl

Im not into "fade" i love the dark blue "cardboard " feel of my selvedge jeans with as big a cuff as i dare go ! :cool:

Cocker

But for the completely uninitiated what's the best of these selvedge jobbies to have a go with? I also don't want to spend a small fortune on the things but what's a good selvedge pair of denim to cut your teeth on?

I'd go for Pike Brothers or, if you want higher waister ones, Lutece MFG. Both affordable and great quality. For me, and sorry about that Ken, but saying nothing is worth a Levi's or a Lee is not true at all. I've handled both, and IMO, a pair of PB is as good quality wise as they are.

stanier

My favourites are some LVC Japan ‘47’s and ‘33’s as well as a killer pair of Sugar Cane ‘47’s with arc’s and red tab that go nearly everywhere I go. Also have a pair of LVC Japan ‘44’s that I’ve worn a hell of a lot but they need repairing but I love ‘em!

Ken at Aero Leather

I'd go for Pike Brothers or, if you want higher waister ones, Lutece MFG. Both affordable and great quality. For me, and sorry about that Ken, but saying nothing is worth a Levi's or a Lee is not true at all. I've handled both, and IMO, a pair of PB is as good quality wise as they are.

We all have "opinions", re Jeans, we love Pike Bros kit at Aero, we stock quite a few pieces and were one of their very first stockists but not their denim.
We have tried a few other brands (than Lee/Levi) over the 30 years Aero have sold dry denim but our feeling is that only Wrangler's (beautiful) jacket and shirts were worth a permanent place in our denim range. Wrangler/Bluebell jeans are good too, but not in the same class as their jackets.
Before Aero I had 10 years dealing in vintage jeans, moving a couple of hundred pairs a week at least at the Thrift Shop, the only as yet unmention brand that always stood out was Lois. I see they are still trading but, as to how their current stuff is, I can't say

Geeboo

The few selected 50's Wrangler models mentioned by Ken is extremely expensive these day....
20180929_172114.jpg

Last edited:

Grant

Hey Ken, why doesn’t Aero stock Lee Japan denim any longer? The Lee Japan I bought from you guys years ago has worn and faded beautifully.

stanier

Hey Ken, why doesn’t Aero stock Lee Japan denim any longer? The Lee Japan I bought from you guys years ago has worn and faded beautifully.

Now that’s a good question! I’m moving closer to some Lee ‘42’s and ‘48’s for a change and Japan is the only source I can find, it’d be great to have a source closer to home!

Smithy

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions chaps. I'm a complete selvedge virgin so it's much appreciated. I still have to make that mental leap in terms of the prices - I'm used to buying a pair of 501s for bugger all so to spend what I nearly do on a good pair of flannel trousers on a pair of jeans is still a bit of a shock to the old system!

stanier

I also should mention an occasional irritation with LVC to watch for if you’re a grumpy authentic seeker like me. Usually it’s tweaking patterns, shallow pocket bags ( that get even more shallow when you wash them!) and “fake” type / incorrect attachment
buttons on the ‘44’s.

I’m hoping that the sad demise of Cone Mills just might mean they license someone else to make LVC who makes them properly with no back room bean counter burk or fashion waller meddling and daft seasonal “themes”.

Just 100% spot on Americana produced as close as possible to how it would have been in its day. Is it really so hard? Just don’t recruit any university marketing / finance / fashion bodies and they’d probably crack it!

Sorry rant over! I’ll put my phone back in my LVC ‘44’s I’m wearing at the mo, and cos the pocket bags are so shallow it pokes out at the top! :mad: