• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeans to wear with your flight jackets ...

blackrat2

TCB jeans have released there version of a 1944 Levi 501 pattern
Looks like some real attention to detail from what I have read
They have a matching jacket based on same period
There is a competition on the jeans site fir this particular denim
Sizing is main problem highlighted from this competition but those with the denim are rating it

Excuse my utter lack of knowledge but what in the actual heck is "selvedge" denim?
Is it the weave or the colouring?
I tend to wear RM Williams jeans (Australian brand that tends to fit me just under the lowest rib and has "proper" denim pockets and not flimsy thin cotton ones)
I tend to wear higher waisted pants since I'm not a fan of the "Super Mario" waistband sitting on the hips look

D97x7

Selvedge
IMG_20201008_135414.jpg

Non selvedge
IMG_20201008_135435.jpg

kirova

Selvedge
Non selvedge

the selvedge line isn't the definitive proof anymore.......

a while ago I noticed someone at work where his cuffed jeans had the selvedge line, so I started asking him which brand and what fabric it was, then I realised he had no idea what I was talking about.

then it was revealed that he bought them at some chain store for $20, I went and check it out, and turns out the selvedge line on those jeans only runs for 2 or 3 inches from the cuff line, in other words, fake selvedge :(

Hey Sydney,
This is probably too much information, but here's little description of selvage denim.

https://www.frankandoak.com/handbook/style/selvedge-denim
Haha yeah that's a little deep.....
Plus the only brands that I've found stock in stores around Sydney today are Japanese brands that seem like leggings..... incredibly narrow legs like the old "stovepipe" jeans so I'd have no luck getting my swimmers calves in them.....but they do seem to have fairly substantial/thick material

Ed Rooney

I’m not a denim savant, so I just tend to buy Levi’s in one of the basic styles, like 501s or 505s. I should probably sell all the old pairs I have on eBay. When they get holes in them, I fold them up and stash them in the closet. There are some new pairs in there that I did not like and neglected to return. 2 pairs came with stretch fabric, so they are still sitting up there in the shelf since I did not bother with them until after the return window expired.

I don’t roll up my jeans, and I’m not sure why that is a thing.

One thing that frustrates me is that even types like 501s seem to change cuts. They aren’t the jeans I wore in high school. I have 2 pairs from about 2010 and they are slim fit compared to 505s.

All in all, I prefer khakis.

D97x7

a while ago I noticed someone at work where his cuffed jeans had the selvedge line, so I started asking him which brand and what fabric it was, then I realised he had no idea what I was talking about.

then it was revealed that he bought them at some chain store for $20, I went and check it out, and turns out the selvedge line on those jeans only runs for 2 or 3 inches from the cuff line, in other words, fake selvedge :(
Fake selvedge wouldn't surprise me these days.

stanier

Cheap crap. There should be a law against this sort if fakery! Makes me shudder...yuk!

kirova

Haha yeah that's a little deep.....
Plus the only brands that I've found stock in stores around Sydney today are Japanese brands that seem like leggings..... incredibly narrow legs like the old "stovepipe" jeans so I'd have no luck getting my swimmers calves in them.....but they do seem to have fairly substantial/thick material

If you head to Maplestore in Newtown, they have some selvedge there, Corlection near Chinatown have a good selection as well, but both places are pretty pricey...........

If past years are anything to go by, Maplestore usually would have a black friday sale, might be worth waiting til then.

If you head to Maplestore in Newtown, they have some selvedge there, Corlection near Chinatown have a good selection as well, but both places are pretty pricey...........

If past years are anything to go by, Maplestore usually would have a black friday sale, might be worth waiting til then.
I went to maple store first..... and to a Japanese store near the Capitol theatre.....both places had jeans that were so tapered that I couldn't fit my calves into (because I assume they do their patterns on Asian body sizing rather than Nordic guys that cycle and swim too much lol)

kirova

I went to maple store first..... and to a Japanese store near the Capitol theatre.....both places had jeans that were so tapered that I couldn't fit my calves into (because I assume they do their patterns on Asian body sizing rather than Nordic guys that cycle and swim too much lol)

lol in that case, get some LVC (or one of their clones), I have a pair of 1944 and 1947 and they are like potato sacks............. (I have only tried them on once and has been sitting in my wardrobe ever since, depending on your size, maybe we can work something out? :))

lol in that case, get some LVC (or one of their clones), I have a pair of 1944 and 1947 and they are like potato sacks............. (I have only tried them on once and has been sitting in my wardrobe ever since, depending on your size, maybe we can work something out? :))
I'm a bit of a big boy.......I am a 40R in RM Williams jeans and a 38/32 in "normal" Levi's.... probably because their sizing is rather lax
And although I like this style of denim
I usually wear my A2 jackets and my ancient French horsehide jacket I tend to pair them with wool trousers in a Victorian or "railway" cut

kirova

I'm a bit of a big boy.......I am a 40R in RM Williams jeans and a 38/32 in "normal" Levi's.... probably because their sizing is rather lax
And although I like this style of denim
I usually wear my A2 jackets and my ancient French horsehide jacket I tend to pair them with wool trousers in a Victorian or "railway" cut

damn no where close then, my two pairs of LVCs are size 32 :)

I do have a pair of regular modern day 501 in White Oak selvedge denim in size 38 (measures around 40 inches in waist, but they are supposed to shrink after wash), something I have picked up in my heavier days, but never got around to wearing them before I got to my current waist size, let me know if you are interested :) (if not, no worries :)

blackrat2

Hey Grant I a bit rubbish at posing links
If you google TCB WW2 jacket it should show up a jeans competition held in the super talk forum
There are numerous links to images of the Jeans some folk have in the TCB competition
Size appears to be issue for some but consensus is the denim is good
The competition jeans have mixed fabric pockets which were picked by TCB, the stock ones come with olive green pocket liners
Denimio has them in stock at Japanese prices
TCB site has some good pics n articles about the jeans, pocket shape and cut
Am probably gonna get a pair myself and also the ww2 jacket which is 506xx copy but wartime spec and T back fir bigger sizes
Let me know if you find it