• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jackets! Jackets! Jackets! - Dazed and Confused!

JFB

I've been doing some research on jackets. There are so many styles and types that is gets pretty confusing. :eek:

To narrow it down, here is what I am looking for:

What style of jacket would an aviator from Marine fighter squadron VMF-312 (The Checkerboarders) have worn? The time period would be the Korean War and their station the USS Bataan (CVL-29) from March 1951 to June 1951. That is all the "specifics" I know.

It has been a real education being a member on this website. Thanks to all who have responded to my previous inquiries! :)

hacker

It is most likely they would have worn a 55-j-14 G-1, though some would have kept their earlier issued jackets which could range from a M422a, AN-6552, or even possible an AN-J-3a.

Hacker.

JFB

hacker said:
It is most likely they would have worn a 55-j-14 G-1, though some would have kept their earlier issued jackets which could range from a M422a, AN-6552, or even possible an AN-J-3a.

Hacker.

Appreciate the quick responce! Where can I get details that explains the differences in each type?

hacker

Now that question isn't as easy to answer!.......The biggest difference would probably be with the newer 55-j-14. It would be a slightly shorter jacket. The other older models have a lot of very minor differences many because of the different makers. There are zipper differences, and liner color differences for one thing. The stamping of USN or US on the backside of the collar are also done differently. John Chapman's CD is as good as any reference to see differences as I don't know of a book that is that detailed.

Hacker

JFB

hacker said:
Now that question isn't as easy to answer!.......The biggest difference would probably be with the newer 55-j-14. It would be a slightly shorter jacket. The other older models have a lot of very minor differences many because of the different makers. There are zipper differences, and liner color differences for one thing. The stamping of USN or US on the backside of the collar are also done differently. John Chapman's CD is as good as any reference to see differences as I don't know of a book that is that detailed.

Hacker

How can I get a copy of John Chapman's CD? :?:

hacker

JFB said:
hacker said:

Hacker

How can I get a copy of John Chapman's CD? :?:

He's a member...just send him a PM....well worth the price!

Hacker

tgd31968

It also depends on how precise you really want to be. If you just want a Navy jacket that the pilot in question PROBABLY wore, a G-1 would be fine.
If you really want to split hairs, you would need more information, such as if the pilot was a new flyer at the time, or had previous combat experience in WWII or whatever. And even then, if he was a veteran, he may have worn an older issued jacket, he might have traded it for something else, or he might have been issued the newest current issue when he was deployed. If you really want the EXACT jacket, you would have to do more research, or ask him if he is still around.

Terry

JFB

tgd31968 said:
It also depends on how precise you really want to be. If you just want a Navy jacket that the pilot in question PROBABLY wore, a G-1 would be fine.
If you really want to split hairs, you would need more information, such as if the pilot was a new flyer at the time, or had previous combat experience in WWII or whatever. And even then, if he was a veteran, he may have worn an older issued jacket, he might have traded it for something else, or he might have been issued the newest current issue when he was deployed. If you really want the EXACT jacket, you would have to do more research, or ask him if he is still around.

Terry

Terry,
Point well taken. As I learn more about the unique aspects of these jackets, I should clarify that what I am looking for is "close to" rather than "exact". Those who have e-mailed me seem to be recommending the G-1 as you do.

Thank you for your input!

JFB

tgd31968 said:

Terry

jacketimp

'show me your friends and i will tell you about your future?'

show me your jkt-mates and i'll suss out your collection.......... ;)

JFB

jacketimp said:
'show me your friends and i will tell you about your future?'

show me your jkt-mates and i'll suss out your collection.......... ;)

:lol: LOL :lol: