• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket King?

Hi All,
Sorry if this topic's well-trodden, but I can't find this info on this latest version of the forum so I'm asking...

There's a jacket artist, I believe called Jacket King that does really amazing artwork on jacket backs and also patches. I recall seeing his page looking like The Few's page, does anyone know who this person is, how to reach him/her and any other related info? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Dan

taikonaut

It is too good to put on a jacket. I am sure in WW2 the quality is not as high as this. He is charging between $1k to $3k.

RAYMUNDO

Nice work but that is an awful lot of painting to put on a jacket. Looks more like posters not original jacket art.

Ray

Andrew

He's a very talented but nothing like originals. It lacks the naivety of the old stuff and it and the jackets are a reflection of the tastes of the market he's part of.

A

Anonymous

The art work should look great, however think back to a time when an officer was paying off a crew men with a couple of packs of camel's to paint.

better duck

Leadsky said:
He's a very talented but nothing like originals. It lacks the naivety of the old stuff and it and the jackets are a reflection of the tastes of the market he's part of.
True, but the same goes for the very high quality art work of our Jerome, Robert Peters (just pointed out in another thread: http://www.peters-group.com/component/o ... Itemid,68/ ), Rosemary Deary and Robin Mott of A2 Art in the UK. One could say that their "worst work" artwise, emulates the best of WW2 artists. Looked at this matter from the other end: not all jacket art of WW2 was naive: look at the artwork on the 401st BG jackets (can anybody find and post the link to that magnificent collection of photos? I think it is the National Archives link on the home page of the 401 st BG website, but it doesn't seem to work, and I can't find a direct link) and that could be by any of the above mentioned artists!

Curahee

Also take a look at the 3rd page of Art Of The Flight Jacket, "Little Rock Blonde" very detailed and very well executed indeed !

better duck

Curahee said:
Also take a look at the 3rd page of Art Of The Flight Jacket, "Little Rock Blonde" very detailed and very well executed indeed !
No need to get up from that chair, no need to leave your PC and thus lose valuable quality VLJ time: Better Duck, at your service:
IMG_3354.jpg
IMG_3355.jpg

rob75IT

It's not the question of how detailed the draws are. It is the question of the stile of drawing.
"little rock blonde" is one of the most detailed and beautiful art but if you look at it you can have the feeling of the period (40s).
Any artist is doing on his own stile. Something that is some way unique like calligraphy.
This guy is really talented and make some really good piece of art but if you look at the lines, shadows and colors, there is something modern in them.

shedonwanna

rob75IT said:
It's not the question of how detailed the draws are. It is the question of the stile of drawing.
"little rock blonde" is one of the most detailed and beautiful art but if you look at it you can have the feeling of the period (40s).
Any artist is doing on his own stile. Something that is some way unique like calligraphy.
This guy is really talented and make some really good piece of art but if you look at the lines, shadows and colors, there is something modern in them.

Yes, look at all of Maguire's books; in fact, look at all the art from that period - or any period. Every artist was, and is unique in style and materials used. Life experiences play as big a role as artistic skills. Knowledge of the natural world around you and the use of colors are important. I see the world in a different perspective than when I was 19 years old.

Most of the folks on this forum are looking for authentic reproductions of vintage pieces. In addition,we - including myself - want some apparent age painted into or applied to the piece. So, the modern reproduction artist has the added responsibility of making something "new" look "old". I am always looking for that right piece of leather or perfect color for a specific piece.

Django

Just going through some old threads...

I had not seen that book, so I just ordered it from Amazon, and it was on sale for $32!

This artist is definitely a bad ass! I wish I could paint half that well. I agree some of them are a bit too elaborate, but several of them look "right" to me at least.