• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket fit.

Pilot

If you wear size 44 repro jacket, take 44. But if you wear bigger size, take bigger size. They are not '21-st century" oversized jacket.
My other Cooper A-2 is a 44”, it fits perfectly.
So I guess they are consistant also if made by Saddlery.
Thx a lot Silvio... appreciate.

silvio76

My other Cooper A-2 is a 44”, it fits perfectly.
So I guess they are consistant also if made by Saddlery.
Thx a lot Silvio... appreciate.
Than take 44. There is no difference, except label. Saddlery was trade mark of Cooper Sportswear.

Pilot

Thx Silvio...
I am too short for the “L” versions...
or “L” is too long for me.
Will get mine from one of the USAF ( Osan or Kunsan) or US-Army bases in South-Korea.
I am there ( in Seoul ) in a few days.
Thx a lot ...

Last edited:

silvio76

Thx Silvio...
I am too short for the “L” versions...
or “L” is too long for me.
Will get mine from one of the USAF ( Osan or Kunsan) or US-Army bases in South-Korea.
I am there ( in Seoul ) in a few days.
Thx a lot ...
Ok.

Spitfireace

Question on the Cooper Saddlery 1988 no hand warmer pockets A-2 jackets, it seems like they are cut large? Or supposed to be more generous in fit? Because in looking at a 38 the shoulders are 19 inches which is one inch at least too big for me. Unless the shoulders are supposed to have an overhang. Also I'm short so I'd like to get a short jacket and all I see so far is Regular. Are there any Shorts? I might have to get the sleeves shortened in any jacket I get because the newer jackets are sized for smaller chest size but not shorter people as far as I can see, which ain't far cause I'm short... .ha ha. I know that there is Plane Crazy website where you can get a NOS jacket for ok price considering it's a real US Airforce jacket and not some overseas knockoff.

2BM2K

I have a Cooper orange label size 38 regular and yes it is a big fit.
Shoulders 20.5", pit to pit 22". A fine jacket but it is designed for 1980's fashion.

If you want a short jacket then it might be worth considering a size 36.

silvio76

Question on the Cooper Saddlery 1988 no hand warmer pockets A-2 jackets, it seems like they are cut large? Or supposed to be more generous in fit? Because in looking at a 38 the shoulders are 19 inches which is one inch at least too big for me. Unless the shoulders are supposed to have an overhang. Also I'm short so I'd like to get a short jacket and all I see so far is Regular. Are there any Shorts? I might have to get the sleeves shortened in any jacket I get because the newer jackets are sized for smaller chest size but not shorter people as far as I can see, which ain't far cause I'm short... .ha ha. I know that there is Plane Crazy website where you can get a NOS jacket for ok price considering it's a real US Airforce jacket and not some overseas knockoff.
Yes, Cooper had "short" version. They were marked with letter S. If you compare todays jackets and Coopers, Cooper was not so generous fit.

Last edited:

Centaurus3200

I think these guys just wore what they were given. Sometimes too big, sometimes too small, sometimes just right.

That's also one of the many cool things about the A2... Unless grossly oversized or undersized, the size variations just alter the overall style of the outfit.

My size 42 star sportswear looks just fine on me... I'm a 36S suit jacket. I certainly could not get away trying to wear a 42R suit. Lol!

Smithy

If we're actually brutally honest virtually every single guy on here (yours truly included) is overly anal about how their jackets fit and look. Those WWII fellas had a jacket thrown at them and they just got on and wore it. Some were just right, some were too small, some too big but they didn't sit around getting the sweats and wringing their hands about it, they just wore the damn thing and made it theirs. Additionally nearly all of the originals have things which would make most of the guys around here get the bloody vapours, wonky stitching, misaligned pockets, offset snaps, etc. All things which speak of the pressure of manufacturing under wartime conditions.

Somebody who flew combat ops in a P-47, P-51, B-24, B-17, etc, etc would no doubt just shake their heads at us about all this "ooh I think it's half an inch too short/long here" etc, etc and say something along the lines of "cowboy the f@£$ up and just wear what you have. It's just a goddamn jacket FFS!"

After years of sweating the silly stuff I'm trying to adopt that attitude and it does seem to make wearing one of these jackets a darn sight more enjoyable and a lot more liberating. Never forget it's just a piece of clothing. Nothing more. Nothing less.

bfd70

I have a question about A2 patterns and thought this might be a good spot to squeeze it in. Is there a standard ratio for front length to rear length or does it vary from maker to maker? Are there any where the back is longer than the front or where they are equal?

Silver Surfer

my read on originals is, front length [along the wind flap is the same as the back length from the collar seam down the back to the bottom of the leather [not including the waistband]. sleeves are the same from the shoulder seam to end of leather. so, as a general rule for example a size 42 would have a 22" front length, 22" back length [not including the waistband], 22" sleeve length [not including the cuff]. my read is that there was a symmetry in the design that made for easy construction and easy build up or down. no magic tricks, just simple straight forward this equals this, and this equals that. easy-peasy.