• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket Fade…Will it Work? ….

P-47 thunderbolt

Here we go.
20220802_073131.jpg
20220802_073819.jpg
20220802_073608.jpg
20220802_073302.jpg
20220802_073256.jpg
20220802_073630.jpg
20220802_073814.jpg
20220802_073728.jpg

Attachments

• 20220802_073111.jpg
    20220802_073111.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 68
  • 20220802_073614.jpg
    20220802_073614.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

CombatWombat

Jeez this "fading" is something I don't want to happen,most leather jackets down in Australia get like that after 2-3 summers....faster if you're near the coast (salt spray fades stuff to a honey brown or caramel) or if you're rural ( sun+manual labour+bug guts)

ES335

Jeez this "fading" is something I don't want to happen,most leather jackets down in Australia get like that after 2-3 summers....faster if you're near the coast (salt spray fades stuff to a honey brown or caramel) or if you're rural ( sun+manual labour+bug guts)
"Bug guts."

Yeah, I suspect that'd help! LOL

Tattoo A2

Interesting concept Burt, I did Civil War reenactments years ago and alot of us hardcore guys wanted the same fabrics and dyes used back then. Most of the CSA fabric was dyed with walnut hulls or dogwood bark or any other natural materials mother earth provided. My point is, I could purchase a few yards of this fabric, sew it into a hat or jacket and when it started it was a darker shade of brown or off blue, but when you did a season of outside events it would be a tan or butternut color from the UV rays. I would hang a freshly new sewn jacket on the clothesline for a week and the sun did its job, really curious how it does with your jacket. Keep us updated.

Chandler

hell,, down in Texas they have skeets that are big enough to form a posse and pick ya up to take to the woods to feed ya to the lil ones.
Wait, isn't that Minnesota on the Boundary Waters? Not a lotta standing water in TX to breed mosquitos, is there? ;)

P-47 thunderbolt

Looks good !
Thank you for posting these.
It gives me an idea of what I want this jacket to resemble .
Did the hide dry out ? Did you have to recondition it occasionally ?
Cheers Burt! I think the leather is a little dryer than before I started, but I also wore it in the rain, snow etc, so it had a tough time. However I haven't put any conditioner or anything on it, it's still plenty supple.
This is chrome tanned however, I'm unsure if there would be a difference with veg tanned??

B-Man2

Cheers Burt! I think the leather is a little dryer than before I started, but I also wore it in the rain, snow etc, so it had a tough time. However I haven't put any conditioner or anything on it, it's still plenty supple.
This is chrome tanned however, I'm unsure if there would be a difference with veg tanned??
Thanks for all of your info P-47 .
I certainly appreciate your insight .
Your jacket looks great , pretty much what I’m aiming for on this one .
Cheers !