• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket care questions for WW2 era leather (with patches).

Some of you may have seen the earlier post of my recent score, a theater worn WW2 bomber jacket. What is the best way to store and preserve this jacket? I have been told to only use certain high quality leather conditioners but nobody has mentioned a brand to use. I was told that some conditioners make the leather soft by breaking down the material. I am guessing since the patches are painted, I need to avoid putting anything on them all together? What about long term storage? Will a quality garmet bag work or is there a better method?

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 168
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159

B-Man2

There are several good quality leather preservation creams and balms that you can use . Just do a little research on them to determine if they are detrimental to the jackets threads . The only things you shouldn’t ever do is over apply them to the leather . Only use the most sparing amount you can get by using . Another point is NEVER!! Hang your original jacket on a hanger.
I put mine in breathable moth proof garment bags and lay them flat in a couple of old fashioned cedar chests that I have . The combination keeps the moths away .

mulceber

A couple pointers:
  • Number one rule: DO NOT HANG UP a vintage leather jacket. That puts all the weight in the shoulders, which will harm both the leather and the stitching. I drape mine on a shelf. Others here might have better storage ideas than that.
  • My preferred conditioner for the oldies is a VERY light coat of Vaseline. Rub it between your fingers until they’re a bit greasy, and then hand apply it to the jacket. If you think you’ve applied enough, you’ve probably applied too much. Be sparing: you can always apply another coat, but you can’t take it off when it’s on. And yes, definitely don’t apply it to the patches.

Last edited:

Smithy

Some of you may have seen the earlier post of my recent score, a theater worn WW2 bomber jacket. What is the best way to store and preserve this jacket? I have been told to only use certain high quality leather conditioners but nobody has mentioned a brand to use. I was told that some conditioners make the leather soft by breaking down the material. I am guessing since the patches are painted, I need to avoid putting anything on them all together? What about long term storage? Will a quality garmet bag work or is there a better method?

If you want to store it for long term storage as per how we did it at the aviation museum I worked at, you'd use slightly bunched up acid free paper in the arms so they're slightly "puffed out" to their natural shape. Not stuffed completely but enough to stop the arms lying flat. The body would also have acid free paper inside it, just scrunched enough to be about an inch or two in thickness. Leather will stiffen over time and if stored lying flat the arms will gradually take on that flattened moulding. After that it would be stored in a suitably sized cardboard box lined with acid free paper and in a environment which was neither too warm nor too humid.

The jacket looks in great condition and any of the usual leather conditioners will be fine on it like the guys mention above. If it was in more delicate condition you'd be better advised to use a chemically neutral dressing or if there was rot present a consolidator like Klucel G.

Great looking jacket BTW!