• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JA Dubow Mfg Dubow G-1 repro - Platon's expanding to the USN - Who wants one????

mulceber

I also wonder about the zipper. The 27798 was a great contract to reproduce because originals came with M-42 Talons, for which there are great repros available. Dubow’s G-1 was made with a ‘50s Conmar. Will Platon be able to source a good repro?

Brettafett

I recon Platon would want to keep his jackets in the Dubow family...

Doesn't John have a Werber G-1 pattern? Looks like a great, sensible all-round G-1.
I once had an original FO M-422A size 40 that fit like a second skin. Original WW2 and it was something 26.5" body and 26.5" sleeve length (yes, replaced knit). No one can tell me originals were all short.

ausreenactor

I also wonder about the zipper. The 27798 was a great contract to reproduce because originals came with M-42 Talons, for which there are great repros available. Dubow’s G-1 was made with a ‘50s Conmar. Will Platon be able to source a good repro?
That Bi-swing back is a lot of work.

Wedge417

I'm still waiting for my A-2. depending on how that turns out, I wouldn't be against getting a G-1. But there is so much unknown for now...

YoungMedic

Does the bi swing back play into sleeve length requirements at all or is it all for the shoulders? Like does the sleeve remain relatively immobile because the pleat is expanding rather that the arm?

B-Man2

Does the bi swing back play into sleeve length requirements at all or is it all for the shoulders? Like does the sleeve remain relatively immobile because the pleat is expanding rather that the arm?
Ideally when you wear the jacket normally, the sleeves should fit like one of your regular jackets . When you reach forward the bi fold back will expand so that the sleeves shouldn’t pull up and the knits shouldn’t ride up your arm . There should be little or no pulling across your back as well . The bi fold back makes the jacket more comfortable when moving around or reaching than a non bifold jacket like the A2.

Greg Gale

Got a reply!

He says they have no time and there is only 30% of the minimum interest at the moment. If there is enough interest, they'll make time. Also, they may make a sample jacket soon.

Guys, let him know you're in! :)

Brettafett

I get both sides of that discussion, but personally Im not holding out for an original.
Been there, done that and yet to have it work out.

Im not a 'collector' per se, and want to wear my jackets without concern. I prefer to appreciate other's originals.
Sure. If I do come across an original, thats in decent condition, no smells, odours, issues etc... and most importantly... FITS. Hell, I'll be all over it.

I'll put my bets on a good repro.
Excited about Platon making this. My only quandary with this Dubow would be... sleeve length???

Edit: In fact in the original email from Platon, he said something to the effect, that this jacket would be like a NOS original. One you can wear and not worry about, and then still have your originals that you wear occasionally... Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

MaydayWei

Got a reply!

He says they have no time and there is only 30% of the minimum interest at the moment. If there is enough interest, they'll make time. Also, they may make a sample jacket soon.

Guys, let him know you're in! :)

Same same!
I hope he doesn't mind me relaying what he's sent me.

In short...
He says, "The only thing missing from the equation is the buying interest. So far [they] have only about 30% interest of the minimum required in order to invest in the leathers and materials."
And that, "[they] don't have time. But if interest is there [they] will make time."
Hopefully, "[they] will make a sample jacket sometime in the next months in order to generate more interest."