• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

ausreenactor

Just thought I'd add a little postscript to my experience receiving my jacket last week. I had emailed Platon in mid June to enquire after progress and got a reply to that a few hours after the jacket turned up. I thought it couldn't hurt to thank him for the jacket (if not the radio silence) and this led to an email conversation. I think it's fair to say he appreciates that the customer service isn't what he'd want but candidly for the price he charges his view is it's better to make a good jacket. His emails have been really apologetic about the communication and he asked me to let anyone else I know who has ordered that they will get their jackets. The Covid-19 thing has been awful for his business but he's still going.

I'm sure there are more established members here who know of Platon better than I. I can only take this at face value and pass it on in case it helps anyone else here. I know my jacket took 7 months but no one could've predicted this pandemic. The radio silence isn't great but the jacket I've received is. It's very much a personal judgement.

Kudos!

MrBlue

Just thought I'd add a little postscript to my experience receiving my jacket last week. I had emailed Platon in mid June to enquire after progress and got a reply to that a few hours after the jacket turned up. I thought it couldn't hurt to thank him for the jacket (if not the radio silence) and this led to an email conversation. I think it's fair to say he appreciates that the customer service isn't what he'd want but candidly for the price he charges his view is it's better to make a good jacket. His emails have been really apologetic about the communication and he asked me to let anyone else I know who has ordered that they will get their jackets. The Covid-19 thing has been awful for his business but he's still going.

I'm sure there are more established members here who know of Platon better than I. I can only take this at face value and pass it on in case it helps anyone else here. I know my jacket took 7 months but no one could've predicted this pandemic. The radio silence isn't great but the jacket I've received is. It's very much a personal judgement.

7 months! I placed my order with BK in June, so that means I might only get my order next year. I mean if lead times at Platon's are any indication of lead times at BK.

mulceber

7 months! I placed my order with BK in June, so that means I might only get my order next year. I mean if lead times at Platon's are any indication of lead times at BK.

They aren't. Granted, BK's lead times are long too, but as near as I can tell they maintain separate production lines. Before COVID, at any rate, BK was down to a lead time of about 3 months. Platon's was longer, by a month or two, from what I can recall.

Greg Gale

Platon is a true artist, and we are lucky to live in a time when he decided to start his business and offer such great jackets at this price. I also sent him an email of praise a few months ago. Hope his business will get through this COVID-mess soon.

Can you guys with Russet Dubows post photos in different lighting conditions, please? In some photos it looks almsot like a light seal, in others it's very light russet. I can't figure out what the real color is like. Thanks!

Maafly

I am new purchasing an A-2. To anyone who recently ordered from J.A. Dubow Mfg. Once I placed my order July 24th with J.A. Dubow website, under my purchase detai that was emailed back , my payment came back to me as listed below (payment to Bill Kelso). I sent Platon an email to confirm order, but have not heard anything yet. Did anyone with recent purchase get same payment detail? thanks so much.
Payment to:
Bill Kelso Mfg
[email protected]

mulceber

Hi Maafly, welcome to the board!

Yes, I think everyone who buys from Platon has the same experience. He used to work for Bill Kelso before he started his own company, and the jackets are very similar. There's some speculation as to why BK and Platon evidently have the same paypal account, but at any rate, this is par for the course and not a sign that anything is amiss.

London Cabbie

I never did share the measurements of my Platon Dubow 42R...
75571994-9EF9-4E1A-8249-F78766AA0BE4.jpeg
679A9AD0-E836-4FC4-857B-F06C0ED2284C.jpeg
5D00BC02-421B-4934-9165-C7DED495A738.jpeg
3CDA1186-8E1E-41F5-8C45-50EBB05680BD.jpeg
9AC3B2B2-3C65-43B4-8BDA-56FCFB5D1288.jpeg
3E362F70-8C71-4541-9AD2-E7578F750E5B.jpeg
75571994-9EF9-4E1A-8249-F78766AA0BE4.jpeg
679A9AD0-E836-4FC4-857B-F06C0ED2284C.jpeg
5D00BC02-421B-4934-9165-C7DED495A738.jpeg
3CDA1186-8E1E-41F5-8C45-50EBB05680BD.jpeg
9AC3B2B2-3C65-43B4-8BDA-56FCFB5D1288.jpeg
3E362F70-8C71-4541-9AD2-E7578F750E5B.jpeg