• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Grant

Broke out my Platon Dubow early this morning for a bit, before it heats up again!

Dubow1.jpg

Greg Gale

Grant, your pictures always make me want to get a Russet too. But then I realize the darker seal goes better with my other clothes, and I really don't need more than one A-2, haha :D

As Brent said, I should also start abusing mine more. Your Dubow has tons of character!

Lord Flashheart

One minute I'm thinking I'll post something like "The Farce is strong with this one" ... when all of a sudden I'm seeing Kermit singing "It's not easy being green".... I think I need a lie down!

ausreenactor

Ok, nerd alert! A simple thing you can do to upgrade your Platon Dubow (or any repro) is swap out the repro Talon puller for an original. It's easy to do with a pair of needle nose pliers and a little patience. Told ya I was a nerd.

View attachment 41291

Anybody got a puller/slider that I could use for a BR Superior Togs B-10.... Conmatic (Conmar)??

ausreenactor

#5 or No. 5 rings a bell.... Zipper is fine. Just the puller on the slider comes off... I just use fingers above and below the puller...

Thanks for the pic... The style matches.

Are these yours?
What is the length?
How much for a complete zipper?

Pilot

#5 or No. 5 rings a bell.... Zipper is fine. Just the puller on the slider comes off... I just use fingers above and below the puller...

Thanks for the pic... The style matches.

Are these yours?
What is the length?
How much for a complete zipper?
Thx a lot yes!
FBC5030F-8F93-425B-968A-1FDC6CB0EB50.jpeg
all mine , I also have Talon brass zippers and the typical ones for M-41 and for some RW A-2‘s.
Lengths from 54cm to 65cm.. but can be adjusted.
Price is nor really the point shipping via courrier service ( we all posted earlier no more standard postal... too risky..) will be very costly

ausreenactor

MASH Japan have some.. And a US vendor had lots of 5 sliders for a song. As you said, the shipping was a bit crazy. Had US$70 to ship a WWII Tank Destroyer garrison cap the other day.. He was able to over ride eBay's auto shipping calculator. Quoted $16 and I hit the BIN option after watching it for six months...

Hang on to those. They might come in handy! Thanks again..

Lord Flashheart

Just thought I'd add a little postscript to my experience receiving my jacket last week. I had emailed Platon in mid June to enquire after progress and got a reply to that a few hours after the jacket turned up. I thought it couldn't hurt to thank him for the jacket (if not the radio silence) and this led to an email conversation. I think it's fair to say he appreciates that the customer service isn't what he'd want but candidly for the price he charges his view is it's better to make a good jacket. His emails have been really apologetic about the communication and he asked me to let anyone else I know who has ordered that they will get their jackets. The Covid-19 thing has been awful for his business but he's still going.

I'm sure there are more established members here who know of Platon better than I. I can only take this at face value and pass it on in case it helps anyone else here. I know my jacket took 7 months but no one could've predicted this pandemic. The radio silence isn't great but the jacket I've received is. It's very much a personal judgement.