• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ja Dubow 27798 (Platon) A-2 jacket review and pics

Greg Gale

Only one thing to do to make it all look greaterer. You know what I'm going to say, right???

You know how hard it is to find a barber these days?! :D

Both jackets look good on you Greg, but the DuBow seems to have a better looking drape on you than the Star. They are both keepers, I would just wear the Star with a T-Shirt as opposed to anything thick or bulky underneath.

I have too many jackets already, keeping both A-2s would be a luxury. Especially that I have a nice G-1 and an L-2 for the same kind of weather. It had better be worn by someone else than hang in my wardrobe unused.

blackrat2

Gonna say Dubow also
Think it just drapes better than the Star, I prefer it not as trim fitting and think the Dubow just looks better size on the whole

ausreenactor

OK, here is my full review of my size 42 seal Dubow, as well as a comparison with my older ELC Star.

The hide seems to be a bit thicker and less pliable, but that's probably because it's still new. It has larger grain than my ELC, it's more matte and lighter colored with less of that reddish hue - all this is an improvement IMO, I prefer the Dubow in this aspect. The hide needs some serious breaking in to match my Star, but it's a bit hard to do in quarantine. I need to gather dozens of flying hours in it, and I'm curious how it develops.

The knits re very sturdy and only slightly reddish, much less than on any pictures I've seen.

It has more excess room in the chest and especially in the belly area, less slim fit, but I think it's perfectly period correct - maybe even more so. I tried a 42 Star, and it felt like wearing a tent - this one doesn't feel like that at all. The pattern of the waist area is sewn in a way that it always "blouses" slightly, like on old photos. I thought it was due to the size, but no, it's the pattern. You can see it on the unzipped photo. The most important aspect is not reflected in the measurements: The larger armhole and wider upper arms allow a much easier movement. It is on the short side for taller folks like me, but as you see, wearing WWII pants and shirts it's nothing you don't see on period photos. All in all I believe it's as accurate of a Dubow repro as it can get, and for the price it's a steal.

My measurements, size 42:
Pit to pit: 22 3/4
Back: 24 1/4
Shoulder: 18
Sleeves: 25 1/4

Pics: excuse the non-regulation haircut, it's hard to find a barber these days :)

View attachment 34829View attachment 34830View attachment 34831View attachment 34832View attachment 34833

In comparison, here is my old Star. I haven't worn it in a year, and put it on just now after 2 weeks of wearing my Dubow, so I could form an objective opinion.

It's more of a reddish dark seal, but it's astonishing how well it's broken in. It's got beautiful character after all those flying hours, and it feels more pliable too. It's like ELC's time worn option, but way better and way less overdone. On the other hand, the knits feel very flimsy in comparison. It's 1 cm longer than the Dubow and the pattern doesn't blouse as much. This extra length is an advantage, as well as a more slim fit belly area which suits my size 32 waist better. BUT...the shoulders are slightly narrower, the sleeves are shorter and most importantly much tighter, as well as the armhole. It makes every movement feel very restrictive, and results in a lot of pulling back on the sleeves. It kind of feels like an old, outgrown garment. Not sure how much it was the case a year ago, and how much it's due to the effect of 1 year of daily surifing on my body, but this is the case. As soon as international shipping becomes possible again, I will need to part with it. As much as I love the Star, it will fit someone else much better. I'm curious what you guys think too.

Measurements, size 40:
Pit to Pit: 21
Back: 24 1/2
Shoulder: 17 3/4
Sleeves: 24 3/4

View attachment 34834

View attachment 34835

View attachment 34836
I think the Star in a 42 would be perfect.

Grant

Greg, great fitting Dubow, and the Star has some sick graining going on. You inspired me to break out my sz 44 Platon Dubow tonight for some social distancing.

D.jpg
D2.jpg

Smithy

Dubow by a country mile. I thought back in the day your Star was a great fir when you first came here but those broken in photos, really show the tightness in the sleeves and the leather doesn't drape like originals. Maybe that's the leather or the cut but either way the Star doesn't look half as good as the Eastman. If you're going to ditch one, ditch the Eastman. Might be just the photos but it even looks like polished furniture leather.

That Dubow though looks a million bucks.

CBI

both are nice - congrats. The Dubow is a nicer fit, cut and drape however compared to the Star, the Dubow hide has much less character but that should change to a degree with lots of wear. Considering the price difference, the Dudow is hugely competitive and hard to justify going with ELC in re someone purchasing a 'new' A-2 repro! That said, not sure the Dubow will ever develop the character the Star will ...................

all good stuff though - enjoy!

ausreenactor

One point to note is that officer rank and the AAF collar insignia are worn on the shirt collar. Unless you were rocking an early war black tie.

Greg Gale

@ausreenactor I tried a size 42 Star a few years ago, it felt like I was a kid wearing his dad's clothes :D

Also, I don't feel comfortable wearing ranks, that's why I replaced the rank pin with the "US" pin.

ausreenactor

Have at it! Nobody is going to hold it against you.

As long as you're not popping a Silver Star on a current dress uniform, it's widely accepted for period gear.

Flightengineer

Great pics. Nice Dubow.
I would keep both jackets.
My Star is also 40 but it suits me a little better than yours, probably because you a few centimeters taller. Perhaps because we are all different :)
You can easily sell your nice Star, but...not really hurry with this, Greg. Another one will be difficult to buy today and too expensive. And Warhorse leather is amazing ;)

Greg Gale

Warhorse is amazing, but no use if the jacket doesn't fit anymore ;)

Dubow owners, how has your jacket's hide change with time? Did it develop character? Grant's jacket certainly has some judging by the picture.

Brettafett

Here are some pics of mine Greg, and also compared to my BK Dubow.

I have worn it quite a bit, but I do cycle between my jackets, so its not got as much wear as it could've had otherwise.
Must say, the BK has a bit more grain, is a very slightly lighter hue and feels slightly lighter to hand. Both have great character and variations of grain and colour across panels. Lovely!
The Platon Dubow has some high spots developing, which is subtle.
It still feels a touch heavier than the BK, and the leather is a smidgen less pliable. Both jacket's knits are holding strong and tight.
Please ignore colour, my phone is not a great photographer.

Platon's left, BK right. There certainly is grain! And look at that grain variation on the BK on the right.
IMG_20200408_160657140_HDR.jpg

BK left, Platon's right.
Heres that grain variation on Platon's Dubow, with some variation in Hue and some slight rubbing.
IMG_20200408_160629309_HDR.jpg

BK left, Platon's right.
IMG_20200408_160602411_HDR.jpg

Platon left,BK right.
Again, that brown knit on the BK is not as light as that in person, weird effect of my camera.

IMG_20200408_160533396_HDR.jpg

Lorenzo_l

Warhorse is amazing, but no use if the jacket doesn't fit anymore ;)

Dubow owners, how has your jacket's hide change with time? Did it develop character? Grant's jacket certainly has some judging by the picture.

Greg, like you, I own an ELC (RW 27752) in seal brown and a Dubow Mfg in russet, both size 40. The ELC's warhorse is nice, soft and pliable - after little wear it relaxed and and it is a joy to wear now. The RW fits me quite well, though it is a trimmer pattern than the Dubow. The Dubow's horsehide is stiff in comparison (although the jacket is quite new) and while it has developed some nice grain already, I can see that it will take quite some time to break in, far longer than it took the ELC to relax. Regarding workmanship, the Dubow is right up there with the ELC, but at this early stage, I prefer the Warhorse. The knitted cuffs and waistband on the Dubow are far better than the ELC's.

Last edited: